[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Re- SADE Sucks!

hersker@hersker.mathworks.com (Steve Herskovitz) (12/24/90)

Dave Newman, daven@svc.portal.com, writes:

> In article <1990Dec23.224128.12324@cs.uoregon.edu> mkelly@cs.uoregon.edu
> (Michael A. Kelly) writes:
> >
> > Being used to working in the THINK C debugging environment, SADE came
> > as quite a shock. I mean, here I have a development system that costs
> > about twice as much as THINK, with a debugging interface about a quarter
> > as user-friendly.
> >
> > Are there any debuggers out there with an interface similar to the THINK
> > debugger?  What do you all think about TMON or 'The Debugger', and how
> > do they compare to SADE?
>
> Other than the THINK Pascal and C debugging environments, SADE is as good
> as you're going to get as far as interfaces. TMON, TMON Pro, and Jasik's
> Debugger have far more user-hostile interfaces.
>
> Well, there is the MacApp debugger, which is probably in a class of it's
> own.

What is "user-friendly" about a debugger that doesn't really help you debug?
SADE just doesn't have the features needed for serious debugging.  Jasik's
Debugger does.  I agree it's not the friendliest of UIs, and there is a
nontrivial learning curve.  But take the time to learn how to use its features
and you'll forgive its indiscretions.  The latest version adds "memory
protection" (if you have 68030 or PMMU), letting you find all the places your
code's address references stray out of bounds.  You find your errors where they
are committed instead of in unrelated code which happened to stumble over the
memory divot you left minutes or hours earlier.  Jasik's also got an
incremental build system which turns a three minute MPW Link into a 3 second
incremental PatchLink.  He can debug code resources (CDEFs, etc.) at source
level.

There are too many features to list here, and I'm probably opening myself up
for all sorts of defensive flames from the fans of other debuggers.  Let's just
say we've all got our favorite debuggers and Jasik's is mine.

Steve Herskovitz
hersker@mathworks.com

daven@svc.portal.com (12/25/90)

In article <52-890-00035.2744883522.192@hersker.mathworks.com> hersker@hersker.mathworks.com (Steve Herskovitz) writes:

> Let's just say we've all got our favorite debuggers and Jasik's is mine.

Agreed! I didn't post a message that favored any particular debugging
environment, and I won't start now.

   Dave Newman              |  daven@svc.portal.com        |  AppleLink: D0025
   Sofware Ventures Corp.   |  AOL: MicroPhone             |  CIS: 76004,2161
   Berkeley, CA  94705      |  WELL: tinman@well.sf.ca.us  |  (415) 644-3232