[comp.sys.mac.programmer] 'mctb' and DA's

system@asuvax.asu.edu (Marc Lesure) (12/27/90)

I have a DA which adds a menu item to the current menu bar.  I'd like
the new menu item to be a different color than the rest of the bar, so
I added a 'mctb' resource to it.  The problem I have is that the Font/DA
mover resequences the resource numbers of the mctb resource but its internal
data.  In other words, once I've added my DA to the system the mctb menu
item no longer points to my menu bar.  Does anyone have a solution to this
other than using ResEdit to correct the problem after installing the DA?

Can the DA itself modify/correct this resource when it's first invoked?  How?

Marc Lesure / Arizona State University / Tempe, AZ
"Between the world of men and make-believe, I can be found..."
"False faces and meaningless chases, I travel alone..."
"And where do you go when you come to the end of your dream?"

UUCP:       ...!ncar!noao!asuvax!lesure
Internet:   lesure@asuvax.eas.asu.edu

leonardr@svc.portal.com (Leonard Rosenthol) (12/28/90)

In article <1993@asuvax.asu.edu>, system@asuvax.asu.edu (Marc Lesure) writes:
> I have a DA which adds a menu item to the current menu bar.  I'd like
> the new menu item to be a different color than the rest of the bar, so
> I added a 'mctb' resource to it.  The problem I have is that the Font/DA
> mover resequences the resource numbers of the mctb resource but its internal
> data.  In other words, once I've added my DA to the system the mctb menu
> item no longer points to my menu bar.  Does anyone have a solution to this
> other than using ResEdit to correct the problem after installing the DA?
>
> Can the DA itself modify/correct this resource when it's first invoked?  How?

	I don't see anyway that you will able to solve the problem using
an 'mctb' resource due to the problems you've just described, however you
may want to consider manually setting the menuColorTable using such calls as
SetMCEntries and SetMCInfo (IM V, pg. 239).  Hope that helps.

+ Leonard Rosenthol              | Internet: leonardr@sv.portal.com  +
+ Software Ventures              | GEnie:    MACgician               +
+ MicroPhone II Development Team | AOL:      MACgician1              +

Leonard.Rosenthol@f20.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Leonard Rosenthol) (12/28/90)

In article <1993@asuvax.asu.edu>, system@asuvax.asu.edu (Marc Lesure) writes:
> I have a DA which adds a menu item to the current menu bar.  I'd like
> the new menu item to be a different color than the rest of the bar, so
> I added a 'mctb' resource to it.  The problem I have is that the Font/DA
> mover resequences the resource numbers of the mctb resource but its internal
> data.  In other words, once I've added my DA to the system the mctb menu
> item no longer points to my menu bar.  Does anyone have a solution to this
> other than using ResEdit to correct the problem after installing the DA?
>
> Can the DA itself modify/correct this resource when it's first invoked?  How?

        I don't see anyway that you will able to solve the problem using
an 'mctb' resource due to the problems you've just described, however you
may want to consider manually setting the menuColorTable using such calls as

SetMCEntries and SetMCInfo (IM V, pg. 239).  Hope that helps.

+ Leonard Rosenthol              I Internet: leonardr@sv.portal.com  +
+ Software Ventures              I GEnie:    MACgician               +
+ MicroPhone II Development Team I AOL:      MACgician1              +

--
Leonard Rosenthol - via FidoNet node 1:105/14
    UUCP: ...!{uunet!glacier, ..reed.bitnet}!busker!226!20!Leonard.Rosenthol

Chris.Gehlker@p12.f56.n114.z1.fidonet.org (Chris Gehlker) (12/29/90)

ML> I have a DA which adds a menu item to the current menu bar. I'd
ML> like the new menu item to be a different color than the rest
ML> of the bar, so I added a 'mctb' resource to it. The problem I
ML> have is that the Font/DA mover resequences the resource numbers
ML> of the mctb resource but its internal data. In other words, once
ML> I've added my DA to the system the mctb menu item no longer points
ML> to my menu bar. Does anyone have a solution to this other than
ML> using ResEdit to correct the problem after installing the DA?
ML>
ML> Can the DA itself modify/correct this resource when it's first
ML> invoked? How?

See TN 23 for an explanation of what's going on and how to correct it.

--
Uucp: ...{gatech,ames,rutgers}!ncar!asuvax!stjhmc!56.12!Chris.Gehlker
Internet: Chris.Gehlker@p12.f56.n114.z1.fidonet.org