[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Scrolling Dialog User Item?

roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu (Roy Smith) (12/10/90)

	I want to make a modal dialog box that looks sort of like the
standard file picker, with a scrolling list of text items.  Is there an
easy way to do this?  I'm sort of new to Mac programming, so excuse me if
this is a trivial question.

	I just spent two weeks figuring out that the reason all my attempts
to use user dialog items resulted in bombs was because I didn't declare my
callback procedure to be type "pascal" in LSC; a pretty frustrating
experience that almost made me swear off mac programming completely
(wouldn't be the first time I quit!).

/roy
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu -OR- {att,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy
"Arcane?  Did you say arcane?  It wouldn't be Unix if it wasn't arcane!"

Lawson.English@p88.f15.n300.z1.fidonet.org (Lawson English) (12/13/90)

Roy Smith writes in a message to All

RS> I want to make a modal dialog box that looks sort of like the
RS> standard file picker, with a scrolling list of text items. Is
RS> there an easy way to do this? I'm sort of new to Mac programming,
RS> so excuse me if this is a trivial question.

Wouldn't we all? BTW, there is no such thing as a "trivial" Mac programming
question: they're all royal pains.

Lawson (an only slightly more experienced Mac programmer)

--
Uucp: ...{gatech,ames,rutgers}!ncar!asuvax!stjhmc!300!15.88!Lawson.English
Internet: Lawson.English@p88.f15.n300.z1.fidonet.org

Chris.Gehlker@p12.f56.n114.z1.fidonet.org (Chris Gehlker) (12/16/90)

RS>  I want to make a modal dialog box that looks sort of like the
RS> standard file picker, with a scrolling list of text items. Is
RS> there an easy way to do this? I'm sort of new to Mac programming,
RS> so excuse me if this is a trivial question.

Check out the list manager chapter in IM IV.  It has what you need.

--
Uucp: ...{gatech,ames,rutgers}!ncar!asuvax!stjhmc!56.12!Chris.Gehlker
Internet: Chris.Gehlker@p12.f56.n114.z1.fidonet.org

Jim.Lynch@f444.n161.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Jim Lynch) (01/02/91)

> Subj: SCROLLING DIALOG USER ITEM?
> From: roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu (Roy Smith)
> Date: 10 Dec 90 15:11:34 GMT
> Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.programmer
>

>         I want to make a modal dialog box that looks
> sort of like the standard file picker, with a scrolling
> list of text items.  Is there an easy way to do this?  I'm
> sort of new to Mac programming, so excuse me if this is a
> trivial question.

Yes, there is a way that's easier than just using user items, etc.
but I only know its name: it's called The List Manager and is
described in Inside Macintosh volume four.

>         I just spent two weeks figuring out that the reason
> all my attempts to use user dialog items resulted in bombs
> was because I didn't declare my callback procedure to be type
> "pascal" in LSC; a pretty frustrating experience that almost
> made me swear off mac programming completely (wouldn't be the
> first time I quit!).

Programming is like this.  Lots of times, you have to get away
from the machine and think/read about it.  Callback routines in
particular are somewhat advanced so give yourself credit for being
able to solve it.  Read chapter 4 of Inside Mac vol. one (assembly
language) for some insights necessary when you're working in C
trying to interface with an OS written in pascal.

> /roy
> --
> Roy Smith, Public Health Research Institute
> 455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
> roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu -OR- {att,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy
> "Arcane?  Did you say arcane?  It wouldn't be Unix if it wasn't arcane!"

   -Jim

/* Jim Lynch                           on BMUG BBS in Berkeley, CA   */
/*                                        (415) 849-BMUG             */
/*                                     or leave a voice message at:  */
/*                                        (415) 521-7367             */

--
Jim Lynch - via FidoNet node 1:125/777
    UUCP: ...!uunet!hoptoad!fidogate!161!444!Jim.Lynch