[comp.sys.mac.programmer] XVT opinions?

dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) (12/19/90)

My boss is all excited about a package called "XVT" (Extensible Virtual
Toolkit).  It's a set of libraries intended to make the same application
code run on a Mac, X, Windows, and OS/2.  The company is "API Limited".

Does anyone who has used this package care to comment on it?
Internet: s-dorner@uiuc.edu  UUCP: uunet!uiucuxc!uiuc.edu!s-dorner

ejd@iris.brown.edu (Ed Devinney) (12/20/90)

Hi Steve -

Could you please copy me on what's not posted that you may find out about
this pkg?

Thanks very much.

ed

Ed Devinney ... ejd@iris.brown.edu ... IRIS/Brown University
- "Enjoy yourself; it's later than you think!" :  The Specials -

anders@verity.com (Anders Wallgren) (12/20/90)

The general feeling I get (from people who are using XVT) is that the
folks at XVT generally know what they're doing, but that the product
is still somewhat immature.  They seem to have chosen breadth of
platforms over depth of features, at least recently.  One thing I do
know is that there is currently some disparity the features that are
available on different platforms, so it's still not 100% portable, but
getting there.

One really nice thing that they've tackled is printing, which is more
than I've seen other toolkits do.

anders

tjc@castle.ed.ac.uk (A J Cunningham) (12/20/90)

	If you have to (and I mean HAVE TO) develop software to run
across Windows, Presentation Manager and the Mac (And some UNIX
desktops) then XVT is a good bet for porting at least some of your code.

	If you're just going to develop Mac applications then I wouldn't
touch it with a barge pole.

	Tony

--
Tony Cunningham, Edinburgh University Computing Service. tjc@castle.ed.ac.uk

		If a man among you got no sin upon his hand
	    Let him cast a stone at me for playing in the band.

Chris.Parson@f54.n382.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Chris Parson) (12/29/90)

        I'm very excitied about XVT too, and have been following it.  It
won an award in Byte magazine as a "best new product".  It was reviewed in
a '88 or '89 issue of Byte.  They thought it was great - the only
criticism was that it took (of necessity) a "lowest common demominator"
aproach to the API.
        I think any Mac programmer would get excited about a product that
lets his code be "compatible" with the wider computing world of Intel and
Unix boxes...
/s

--
Chris Parson via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!382!54!Chris.Parson

Chris.Parson@f54.n382.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Chris Parson) (12/29/90)

        I'm very excitied about XVT too, and have been following it.  It
won an award in Byte magazine as a "best new product".  It was reviewed in
a '88 or '89 issue of Byte.  They thought it was great - the only
criticism was that it took (of necessity) a "lowest common demominator"
aproach to the API.
        I think any Mac programmer would get excited about a product that
lets his code be "compatible" with the wider computing world of Intel and
Unix boxes...
/s

--
Chris Parson - via FidoNet node 1:105/14
    UUCP: ...!{uunet!glacier, ..reed.bitnet}!busker!382!54!Chris.Parson

dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) (01/03/91)

In article <123076.277E327F@cmhgate.FIDONET.ORG> Chris.Parson@f54.n382.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Chris Parson) writes:

>        I'm very excitied about XVT too, and have been following it.
>        I think any Mac programmer would get excited about a product that
>lets his code be "compatible" with the wider computing world of Intel and
>Unix boxes...

Besides the two responses posted here, I got one mail message.
That person said he didn't think XVT was really good enough to use
for cross-platform development.

Actually, I must say that I personally am NOT excited about having
my code running on PC's or X systems.  I don't particularly want
my name associated with such things.

I suppose I would feel differently if I were getting royalties.

If I wind up getting more experience with the product, I will post
a review.
Internet: s-dorner@uiuc.edu  UUCP: uunet!uiucuxc!uiuc.edu!s-dorner