[comp.sys.mac.programmer] AppleLink

2flopukka@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (Will McLean) (11/08/90)

What is Applelink? I see the name all over the place.
*   |\/\/\/|     Hey dude...         * Will McLean                         *
*   |      |                         * Sysop@p0.f101.n280.z1.Fidonet.Org   *
*   |      |     Keep you hands      * 2flopukka@kuhub.Cc.Ukans.Edu        *
*   | (o)(o)     Off my Butterfinger * Compuserve: 71041,2071              *
*   C      _)                        * AOL: Ozymandius                     *
*    | ,___|                         *                                     *
*    |   /       -Bart Simpson       * 1529 w.9th St.                      *
*    /____\                          * Lawrence, Ks 66044 USA              *
*   /      \                         * "The owls Are Not What They seem"   *
***************************RockChalk Jayhawk K.U.***************************

c60a-cz@danube.Berkeley.EDU (Donald Burr) (11/08/90)

A couple of miles of scrolling text back,
2flopukka@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (Will McLean) wrote:

> What is AppleLink?

AppleLink is a graphically-driven, menu- and window-oriented online service
similar in nature to Compu$erve, but has a better user interface.  It's
for Apple Developers, Dealers, etc. primarily.  No others can gain access
to it.  AppleLink used to be split up into two divisions:

AppleLink-Industrial Edition: for the developers, dealers, etc.
                              Basically for official Apple-type people.
AppleLink-Personal Edition: For us other generic humans.

since then, AppleLink:PERsonal Edition has changed hands.  It is now managed
by Quantum Computer Services, Inc. and is called America On-Line.  It can
be used by anyone using Apple II, IIGS, and Macintosh computers.

I can probably dig up Quantum's phone number, and post it here.  Just call
them for information and/or a sign-up kit; the kit includes a disk, a user
number and log-on password, etc.  Kits are *FREE*, and even if you recieve
a kit, you aren't obligated to sign up.

Oh-- and one more thing, the hourly connect and usage rates on AOL are
MUCH cheaper than compu$erve.
Donald Burr, c60a-cz@danube.Berkeley.edu  | "I have a seperate mail-address
University of California, Berkeley        | for flames and other such nega-
Majoring in Computer Science              | tive msgs; it's called /dev/null."

robinson@cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (John Robinson) (12/14/90)

How does one get access to AppleLink or America Online?
Do you have to be a Apple Certified Developer?

Thanks in Advance
Merry Christmas Ho Ho Ho

alan@metasoft.UUCP (Alan Epstein) (01/01/91)

Does anyone regularly use AppleLink?

I have found, despite the introduction of v6.0, that this 'service'
is slower and less reliable than ever. Is it just my connection
or have others found this thing difficult to use?

-----------------------------
Alan Epstein
Meta Software Corp                   UUCP:  ...bbn!metasoft!alan
150 Cambridgepark Dr        Internet/ARPA:  alan%metasoft@bbn.com
Cambridge, MA 02140  USA
-----------------------------

time@tbomb.ice.com (Tim Endres) (01/01/91)

In article <2031@metasoft.UUCP>, alan@metasoft.UUCP (Alan Epstein) writes:
> Does anyone regularly use AppleLink?

Not me.

> I have found, despite the introduction of v6.0, that this 'service'
> is slower and less reliable than ever. Is it just my connection
> or have others found this thing difficult to use?

I only login once a week to check for mail and important notices.
I NEVER login to AppleLink to *send* mail, since I can send it right
here from my Mac for free at Telebit speeds! Further, I insist that
most AppleLink users reach via Usenet, since I login so infrequently
and download my Usenet mail hourly!

tim.

peirce@outpost.UUCP (Michael Peirce) (01/01/91)

In article <2031@metasoft.UUCP>, alan@metasoft.UUCP (Alan Epstein) writes:

> Does anyone regularly use AppleLink?
>
> I have found, despite the introduction of v6.0, that this 'service'
> is slower and less reliable than ever. Is it just my connection
> or have others found this thing difficult to use?

It's no speed demon, but I find its performance OK for what I use
it for (mail, following a few discussions, and the the occasional
price list lookup).

I use it after hours most of the time to save money, but the few times
I've used it primetime I haven't noticed particularly bad performance.

What specifically is your grip?

-- michael

--  Michael Peirce         --   {apple,decwrl}!claris!outpost!peirce
--  Peirce Software        --   Suite 301, 719 Hibiscus Place
--  Macintosh Programming  --   San Jose, California 95117
--           & Consulting  --   (408) 244-6554, AppleLink: PEIRCE

Garance_Drosehn@mts.rpi.edu (Garance Drosehn) (01/01/91)

and in article <0B010004.c6058p@outpost.UUCP>
            peirce@outpost.UUCP (Michael Peirce) answered:
> It's no speed demon, but I find its performance OK for what I use
> it for (mail, following a few discussions, and the the occasional
> price list lookup).
>
> I use it after hours most of the time to save money, but the few times
> I've used it primetime I haven't noticed particularly bad performance.

To which I'll toss in the experience of:

Two or three weeks ago I had a miserable time trying to download one file.
ResEdit 2.1, I think, which was expected to take 45 minutes to download.  I
must have tried a few dozen times on several consecutive nights to get the
file, and every time I'd lose the connection part way thru.  Sometimes it
would just a few minutes into the download before dieing, and the farthest
it got was about 38 minutes into the download before it stopped.  This was
quite frustrating.  Most of these downloads were done between 11pm and 5am
(okay, okay, so I work odd hours...).  It also didn't matter if I tried to
download any other file, I just couldn't seem to keep the connection.

I tried it one more time on the following week, and downloaded the file on
the first attempt.  Whatever the problem was, I haven't seen it since that
one week (though I do think that during that week I ran up more connect
time then I had in the previous 5 months...).

From what little I've used it, if the connections are okay then it seems
usable to me.  And when there are problems it can be a real nightmare.  I
don't really use it all that much though.

Garance_Drosehn@mts.rpi.edu

bytebug@dhw68k.cts.com (Roger L. Long) (01/01/91)

In article <2031@metasoft.UUCP> Alan Epstein wrote:
> Does anyone regularly use AppleLink?
>
> I have found, despite the introduction of v6.0, that this 'service'
> is slower and less reliable than ever. Is it just my connection
> or have others found this thing difficult to use?

Seems fine for what I use it for (sending queries/receiving responses from
DTS, downloading various files, etc).

In article <CFS^M3*@rpi.edu> Garance Drosehn
>Two or three weeks ago I had a miserable time trying to download one file.
>ResEdit 2.1, I think, which was expected to take 45 minutes to download.  I
>must have tried a few dozen times on several consecutive nights to get the
>file, and every time I'd lose the connection part way thru.  Sometimes it
>would just a few minutes into the download before dieing, and the farthest
>it got was about 38 minutes into the download before it stopped.  This was
>quite frustrating.  Most of these downloads were done between 11pm and 5am
>(okay, okay, so I work odd hours...).  It also didn't matter if I tried to
>download any other file, I just couldn't seem to keep the connection.

This isn't something you should have to put up with.  If this is the kind of
thing the original poster was complaining about, there is definately something
wrong somewhere, and you should be finding out where the problem is and doing
something about it!

Several weeks back, I experienced problems downloading large files, and after
the second attempt failing some 30 minutes into the download, I called the
HelpLine and vented my frustration and told them I expected not to be billed
for the time I'd wasted thus far, and asked what should I do.  I got a call
back from someone who indicated that they'd isolated the problems to the
PacBell lines servicing the modem number I was trying to use, and that PacBell
knew about the problem, and would get around to fixing it when they got around
to fixing it.  The remedy in the meantime: try a different modem number.  I
did, and had no further problems.

Sitting in their offices in Northern California, the Apple folks have no idea
if there are problems with their service unless you let them know.  And they
seem to respond.  My problem was dealt with.  And I'd guess that enough people
complained about slow service in November (I didn't notice it being that slow)
that they cut the connect-time charges across the board.

--
	Roger L. Long
	bytebug@dhw68k.cts.com

alan@metasoft.UUCP (Alan Epstein) (01/02/91)

peirce@outpost.UUCP (Michael Peirce) writes:
>It's no speed demon, but I find its performance OK...

>What specifically is your grip[sic]?

I use it infrequently, usually to get a file or somesuch. More often
than not, the connection will quit part way through a transfer.
In addition, sometimes when I spend some time browsing through
the various folders, the connection will go away also. Now
browsing is no quick task to begin with, but when the connection
keeps breaking, it all begins to be a waste of time and money.

-----------------------------
Alan Epstein
Meta Software Corp                   UUCP:  ...bbn!metasoft!alan
150 Cambridgepark Dr        Internet/ARPA:  alan%metasoft@bbn.com
Cambridge, MA 02140  USA
-----------------------------

Fabian@cup.portal.com (Fabian Fabe Ramirez) (01/02/91)

Alan,

Being one of the original Pilot SysOps (SuperMac BB) and the administrator of
our QM-Link gateway, I find AppleLink very useful.

Fabian Ramirez
SuperMac Technology

fabian@cup.portal.com
sun!cup.portal.com!fabian

andyb@tardis.wimsey.bc.ca (Andy Babinszki) (01/02/91)

In article <2031@metasoft.UUCP>, alan@metasoft.UUCP (Alan Epstein) writes:

> Does anyone regularly use AppleLink?
>
> I have found, despite the introduction of v6.0, that this 'service'
> is slower and less reliable than ever. ...

Two thumbs down!  It's too expensive and my line typically drops some time during
the session.  While the actual phone connection is still open ( OH & CD lights ), the
Applelink software thinks that the line has dropped.  Also whenever I quit from the app,
I have to hit the restart button to get my Mac back.  My beefs are primarily with the
software, however, I have to agree with you, the response is very poor, the Mac waits
for long intervals with nothing happening on the modem line.  I now try to satisfy
as many of my Apple related information requirements from either BBSes or the net
and dial into AppleLink only when there is no alternative.

"Too slow and too expensive."  - Have I heard this about Apple products before?
NAH! ;-)

Andy.

Andy Babinszki - andyb@tardis.wimsey.bc.ca

Chris.Gehlker@p12.f56.n114.z1.fidonet.org (Chris Gehlker) (01/03/91)

GD> Two or three weeks ago I had a miserable time trying to download
GD> one file. ResEdit 2.1, I think, which was expected to take 45
GD> minutes to download.

I got it on the 3rd try.  This was the worst experience I've ever had with
AppleLink
though.

--
Uucp: ...{gatech,ames,rutgers}!ncar!asuvax!stjhmc!56.12!Chris.Gehlker
Internet: Chris.Gehlker@p12.f56.n114.z1.fidonet.org