[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Think C book wanted

ephrem@hardy.u.washington.edu (Bo Jackson) (12/29/90)

I am wondering what people think is a good Think C book for a beginner in
Mac C programming. What I want is a introductory book, and so far I havent
even found an advanced book. Any ideas?

mcmac@hubcap.clemson.edu (robert s mcalister) (12/29/90)

From article <13527@milton.u.washington.edu>, by ephrem@hardy.u.washington.edu (Bo Jackson):
> I am wondering what people think is a good Think C book for a beginner in
> Mac C programming. What I want is a introductory book, and so far I havent
> even found an advanced book. Any ideas?

There's two nice one's: Macintosh Programming Primer, vols. I & II.
I think they are by Cartwright & Reed.

Scott McAlister      mcmac@hubcap.clemson.edu
CS Student at at Clemson University

ephrem@hardy.u.washington.edu (Bo Jackson) (12/29/90)

>There's two nice one's: Macintosh Programming Primer, vols. I & II.
>I think they are by Cartwright & Reed.

I have in fact seen both of these books, but they assume you know C
already, and dont help much for a beginner C person. I suppose the best
bet would to be to learn C then get those books and learn how to do C
on a Mac....

Bo.Jackson@f20.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Bo Jackson) (12/29/90)

From: ephrem@hardy.u.washington.edu

--
Bo Jackson - via FidoNet node 1:105/14
    UUCP: ...!{uunet!glacier, ..reed.bitnet}!busker!226!20!Bo.Jackson

robert.s.mcalister@f20.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (robert s mcalister) (12/29/90)

From article <13527@milton.u.washington.edu>, by ephrem@hardy.u.washington.edu
(Bo Jackson):
> I am wondering what people think is a good Think C book for a beginner in
> Mac C programming. What I want is a introductory book, and so far I havent

> even found an advanced book. Any ideas?

There's two nice one's: Macintosh Programming Primer, vols. I & II.
I think they are by Cartwright & Reed.

Scott McAlister      mcmac@hubcap.clemson.edu
CS Student at at Clemson University

--
robert s mcalister - via FidoNet node 1:105/14
    UUCP: ...!{uunet!glacier, ..reed.bitnet}!busker!226!20!robert.s.mcalister

sharp@fsd.cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Maurice Sharp) (12/29/90)

In article <13527@milton.u.washington.edu> ephrem@hardy.acs.washington.edu (Bo Jackson) writes:
>I am wondering what people think is a good Think C book for a beginner in
>Mac C programming. What I want is a introductory book, and so far I havent
>even found an advanced book. Any ideas?
Hiya,

    There are two excellent books, both published by Addison-Wesley :

	Macintosh Programming Primer: Inside the Toolbox Using ThinkC
		Dave Mark & Cartwright Reed

	Macintosh C Programming Primer Volume II: Mastering the
		Toolbox Using ThinkC
		Dave Mark

    Although you can use them standalone, if you are really serious
about Mac programming you will also need (from Addison-Wesley) :

	Inside Macintosh Volumes I-V
	Inside Macintosh X-Ref

    I personally recommend (Microsoft Press) :

	The Programmer's Apple Mac Sourcebook
		Thom Hogan

    Hope this helps
	 maurice (MacMo)

--
Maurice Sharp MSc. Student (403) 220 7690
University of Calgary Computer Science Department

Lawson.English@p88.f15.n300.z1.fidonet.org (Lawson English) (12/31/90)

Bo Jackson writes in a message to All

BJ> I am wondering what people think is a good Think C book for a
BJ> beginner in Mac C programming. What I want is a introductory
BJ> book, and so far I havent even found an advanced book. Any ideas?

Macintosh C Programming Primer, Volumes 1 & 2 seem to be the favorites.

Lawson

--
Uucp: ...{gatech,ames,rutgers}!ncar!asuvax!stjhmc!300!15.88!Lawson.English
Internet: Lawson.English@p88.f15.n300.z1.fidonet.org

Chris.Gehlker@p12.f56.n114.z1.fidonet.org (Chris Gehlker) (01/01/91)

BJ> I am wondering what people think is a good Think C book for a
BJ> beginner in Mac C programming. What I want is a introductory
BJ> book, and so far I havent even found an advanced book. Any ideas?

I've heard many recommendations for "Macintosh Programming Primer:Inside the
Toolbox using THINK C"

--
Uucp: ...{gatech,ames,rutgers}!ncar!asuvax!stjhmc!56.12!Chris.Gehlker
Internet: Chris.Gehlker@p12.f56.n114.z1.fidonet.org

Chris.Gehlker@p12.f56.n114.z1.fidonet.org (Chris Gehlker) (01/01/91)

BJ> I have in fact seen both of these books, but they assume you
BJ> know C already, and dont help much for a beginner C person. I
BJ> suppose the best bet would to be to learn C then get those books
BJ> and learn how to do C on a Mac....

Then try "C Primer++" from the Waite Group.  Also it's not to hard to learn
C from K&R, Second Eddition.

--
Uucp: ...{gatech,ames,rutgers}!ncar!asuvax!stjhmc!56.12!Chris.Gehlker
Internet: Chris.Gehlker@p12.f56.n114.z1.fidonet.org

ephrem@hardy.u.washington.edu (Bo Jackson) (01/03/91)

Thanks for all of you that have helped me find myself a Macintosh C book.
I am currently progressing in it and appreciate all of your support!

Lawson.English@p88.f15.n300.z1.fidonet.org (Lawson English) (01/07/91)

Bo Jackson writes in a message to All

BJ> I have in fact seen both of these books, but they assume you
BJ> know C already, and dont help much for a beginner C person. I
BJ> suppose the best bet would to be to learn C then get those books
BJ> and learn how to do C on a Mac...

TML Pascal had an option called "TextBook." This allowed one to use the Mac
like an interactive dumb terminal so one could use the Pascal I/O from textbooks
with no modifications. I believe that Think Pascal has a text window for the
same purpose, so I would imagine that Think C also can be used in "textbook
mode."

The point being that one should be able to learn to C whilest using a Mac compiler...

Lawson