[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Turbo Pascal

tristan@killer.UUCP (Rob Beckham) (05/06/88)

After a couple of hours, of working with Turbo Pascal and my Mac II , I have
found that Font DA Juggler Plus causes Turbo to crash.  What happensis that when you are running Juggler and you comply something to memory, run your program
and come back to Turbo, Turbo will crash when you touch the menu bar.

So don't use Juggler with Turbo.

Rob Beckham

kurtzman@pollux.usc.edu (Stephen Kurtzman) (05/07/88)

In article <4000@killer.UUCP> tristan@killer.UUCP (Rob Beckham) talks about
some problems using Turbo and Font/DA juggler on a MACII.

Rob, if you aren't using Turbo 1.1 (the Turbo upgrade for Multifinder and
the MACII) you may want to give Borland a call. Call their 800 number.
The upgrade is only $15 if you own a Turbo 1.0. Pretty cheap and the
delivery is quick. (Within a week in my case).

dan@Apple.COM (Dan Allen) (05/09/88)

Turbo Pascal 1.1 is great, but it DOES NOT WORK with MultiFinder.  It
seems to only have fixed the Mac II problems.

When a person Runs a program in Turbo, it creates a sub-heap inside its
own heap.  The original Mac II problem was that Color QuickDraw
allocated some data structure in this new heap when InitWindows was
called for the TTY window that Turbo puts up.  When Turbo returned to
its own heap and zapped the program heap, this data structure (which was
still being relyed upon by Color QuickDraw) caused a crash.

This has been fixed in Turbo 1.1.

However, running a program in Turbo under MultiFinder still crashes, not
just on Mac IIs, but on SEs and Pluses as well.  Unfortunately I cannot
recall the exact details of the problem, but it seems like it was
similiar to the above problem.

What you can do is build the program on disk (CMD K) and then run it.
That seems to work, but you lose some of the beauty of the Turbo
Environment.  I seem to recall a small notice by Borland to the effect
that this is the workaround for Turbo 1.1 and MultiFinder.

All Turbo needs to do is call _Launch with the appropriate high bit set
(documented in some recent TechNote if I recall right), and it would
work.

If there is a newer version of Turbo that does Run under MF, I should
would like to know!

Dan Allen
Software Explorer
Apple Computer

drs@bnlux0.bnl.gov (David R. Stampf) (05/09/88)

In article <8948@oberon.USC.EDU> kurtzman@pollux.usc.edu (Stephen Kurtzman) writes:
>In article <4000@killer.UUCP> tristan@killer.UUCP (Rob Beckham) talks about
>some problems using Turbo and Font/DA juggler on a MACII.
>
>Rob, if you aren't using Turbo 1.1 (the Turbo upgrade for Multifinder and
>the MACII) you may want to give Borland a call. Call their 800 number.

I sent in for the 1.1 upgrade hoping that it would allow turbo to run under
the multifinder.  It still does not work.  You can (and always could I believe
run the applications under multifinder *only* if you compile them to disk,
leave Turbo and launch the application from Finder.

Wish I could!

	< dave stampf

ldo@waikato.ac.nz (Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Waikato University) (01/09/91)

As far as I can see, the THINK compilers are nicer than anything Borland
or any other vendor for DOS has ever done.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro                       fone: +64-71-562-889
Computer Services Dept                     fax: +64-71-384-066
University of Waikato            electric mail: ldo@waikato.ac.nz
Hamilton, New Zealand    37^ 47' 26" S, 175^ 19' 7" E, GMT+13:00

Lawson.English@p88.f15.n300.z1.fidonet.org (Lawson English) (01/09/91)

P. Hawthorne writes in a message to All

PH> Now, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but this is the way
PH> I heard it. Borland stomped the competition in the PC world by
PH> selling their products for practically nothing. Like, $200. So,
PH> they figure on doing the same thing for the Mac. Only, Think
PH> is ready for them, and gets protective.
PH> Think tells Borland, "Look, neither of us is getting enough margin
PH> per product now. What if, down the line, it becomes a choice
PH> between your products and ours during a bloody price war, heaven
PH> forbid?"

Remember HyperC? Several years ago (at least two or three), HyperC was presented
to Borland as a possible Turbo C on the Mac. Afterall, it produces the tightest
code of any Mac compiler (except maybe GCC which didn't exist back then on the
Mac). Borland returned it with the comment "Not as nice as Think C."

Obviously the handwriting was on the wall even back then.

Lawson

--
Uucp: ...{gatech,ames,rutgers}!ncar!asuvax!stjhmc!300!15.88!Lawson.English
Internet: Lawson.English@p88.f15.n300.z1.fidonet.org

Lawson.English@p88.f15.n300.z1.fidonet.org (Lawson English) (01/09/91)

Lawrence D'oliveiro, Waikato Univer writes in a message to All

LDW> As far as I can see, the THINK compilers are nicer than anything
LDW> Borland or any other vendor for DOS has ever done.

Development-environment-wise you are correct: an old girlfriend, editor of the
C++ manual once said that she was told that the Turbo C++ "IDE" was based on
Think's.

Code-wise, Symantec stuff is run-of-the-mill Macintosh. Ie, it stinks.

Lawson