[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Multifinder - "Out of application memory"?

brian%cirrusl@oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com (Brian Feinberg) (01/04/91)

Does anyone know precisely what traps can cause the above message?
I have a program that has intermittently done this, and it appears that
the code is pretty thorough about checking for low memory conditions.
Therefore, I am trying to look at particular trap calls that might result in
the above message.

Brian Feinberg <brian%cirrusl@oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com>
UUCP:  oliveb!cirrusl!brian

stevec@Apple.COM (Steve Christensen) (01/04/91)

brian%cirrusl@oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com (Brian Feinberg) writes:
>Does anyone know precisely what traps can cause the above message?
>I have a program that has intermittently done this, and it appears that
>the code is pretty thorough about checking for low memory conditions.
>Therefore, I am trying to look at particular trap calls that might result in
>the above message.

Well, a lot of QuickDraw calls could fall into that category.  And of course
other managers that call QuickDraw internally.  For example if it needs to
build a region to do clipping and there's no space to allocate a new handle.
Perhaps you need to crank up the size of the application's partition a bit?

steve

  Steve Christensen	|  Apple Computer, Inc.		|  Disclaimer:
  stevec@apple.com	|  Cupertino, CA  95014		|   a lie...or not.

In article <2842@cirrusl.UUCP> brian%cirrusl@oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com (Brian Feinberg) writes:
>Does anyone know precisely what traps can cause the above message?
>I have a program that has intermittently done this, and it appears that
>the code is pretty thorough about checking for low memory conditions.
>Therefore, I am trying to look at particular trap calls that might result in
>the above message.

Just about any trap call that can allocate memory (and thats most of them!)
and doesn't have an 'out of memory' graceful error return can cause it.
Some that do have a 'out of memory' error code can also cause this error when
memory is very short.  I think MacsBug will tell you which trap ultimately
caused the error, but of course this trap was not necessarily called
directly by your program.

Lawson.English@p88.f15.n300.z1.fidonet.org (Lawson English) (01/07/91)

Brian Feinberg writes in a message to All

BF> and it appears that the code is pretty thorough about checking
BF> for low memory conditions. Therefore, I am trying to look at
BF> particular trap calls that might result in
BF> the above message.

Dangling pointers might do so (or so I've heard... never touch 'em myself: bad

for you).

Lawson

--
Uucp: ...{gatech,ames,rutgers}!ncar!asuvax!stjhmc!300!15.88!Lawson.English
Internet: Lawson.English@p88.f15.n300.z1.fidonet.org

oster@well.sf.ca.us (David Phillip Oster) (01/10/91)

My experiments seem to show that my Grow Zone function is NOT getting called
before multi-finder kills my program. Am I wrong? (I would like to be.)
--
-- David Phillip Oster - At least the government doesn't make death worse.
-- oster@well.sf.ca.us = {backbone}!well!oster