[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Help Programming "Help"

weinstoc@sei.cmu.edu (Chuck Weinstock) (01/05/91)

Folks,

I want to incorporate a help facility into a program that I am writing
and was wondering whether there is canonical help code laying around
somewhere?  What I'm after is the style of help that shows two
windows side-by-side, both scrollable, with an index in the left
window, and text in the right window, but any reasonable facility
would be fine.

The program is written in Think C, but I can deal with code in Pascal,
etc.

Any pointers that you all could give me would be appreciated.

Chuck Weinstock

vd09+@andrew.cmu.edu (Vincent M. Del Vecchio) (01/05/91)

You might check John Norstad's Disinfectant interface code...  You can get a
copy from acns.nwu.edu in pub/disinfectant, right next to the application
itself.  I can't think of anything else, offhand.

-Vince Del Vecchio
vd09@andrew.cmu.edu

Lawson.English@p88.f15.n300.z1.fidonet.org (Lawson English) (01/07/91)

Chuck Weinstock writes in a message to All

CW>  What I'm after is the style of help that shows two windows side-by-side,

CW> both scrollable, with an index in the left window, and text in
CW> the right window, but any reasonable facility would be fin

I believe that MacTutor has published some code on this: as I recall, the
trick
was to have a STR# with the index to the TEXT resource *IN FRONT OF* the
string
that would show up on the left side. Simply strip off the number, convert it
StrToNum <whatever> and put into an array. Then whenever the List Manager
returns
a selection, GetResource('TEXT", index) and display it in the righthand list.

Str# index 1: "#3546#Tommy"
Str# index 2: "#5548#Betty"

TEXT 3546:  "Tommy is well known for being strange"
TEXT 5548:  "Betty is properly called 'Elisabeth'"

and so on...

Lawson

--
Uucp: ...{gatech,ames,rutgers}!ncar!asuvax!stjhmc!300!15.88!Lawson.English
Internet: Lawson.English@p88.f15.n300.z1.fidonet.org

oster@well.sf.ca.us (David Phillip Oster) (01/10/91)

In article <34239.27875332@stjhmc.fidonet.org> Lawson.English@p88.f15.n300.z1.fidonet.org (Lawson English) writes:
_>Chuck Weinstock writes in a message to All
_>CW>  What I'm after is the style of help that shows two windows side-by-side,

_>I believe that MacTutor has published some code on this: as I recall, the
_>trick:
_>Str# index 1: "#3546#Tommy"
_>Str# index 2: "#5548#Betty"
_>TEXT 3546:  "Tommy is well known for being strange"
_>TEXT 5548:  "Betty is properly called 'Elisabeth'"

Note: it is much simpler to just use sequentially numbered, named text
resources.
--
-- David Phillip Oster - At least the government doesn't make death worse.
-- oster@well.sf.ca.us = {backbone}!well!oster