[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Re^2: Mac II Disappointment/Request for Game Recs

jlee4@spurge.uwaterloo.ca (Johnny Lee) (01/07/91)

In article <34240.27875334@stjhmc.fidonet.org> Lawson.English@p88.f15.n300.z1.fidonet.org (Lawson English) writes:

>Lazy is not the same as cutting cost: it really is no bother to specifiy that
>a window opens to screenbits.bounds etc. As for color, the old macs supported
>8 colors anyways, so a good writer should have left the option available,
>maybe
>with a resource used as a flag to indicate that color machines were now
>available
>so activate the menu item (or whatever).

I would assume that most games would use offscreen bitmaps for speed (if
they weren't using the second screen). Unfortunately, offscreen bitmaps
don't support 8 colours. There's a TN about it.

Johnny Lee
jlee4@spurge.waterloo.edu

oster@well.sf.ca.us (David Phillip Oster) (01/10/91)

In article <1991Jan6.215656.15669@watdragon.waterloo.edu_> jlee4@spurge.uwaterloo.ca (Johnny Lee) writes:
_>In article <34240.27875334@stjhmc.fidonet.org> Lawson.English@p88.f15.n300.z1.fidonet.org (Lawson English) writes:
_>>Lazy is not the same as cutting cost: it really is no bother to specifiy that
_>>a window opens to screenbits.bounds etc. As for color, the old macs supported
_>>8 colors anyways, so a good writer should have left the option available,
_>>maybe
_>>with a resource used as a flag to indicate that color machines were now
_>>available
_>>so activate the menu item (or whatever).

_>I would assume that most games would use offscreen bitmaps for speed (if
_>they weren't using the second screen). Unfortunately, offscreen bitmaps
_>don't support 8 colours. There's a TN about it.

I've been in the business for awhile.
1.) Offscreen Pixmaps support as many bits per pixel as you'll want.
2.) I was involved in the development of a game that had one member of a
couple gets lost in a haunted house, and you play the other member.
I suggested the program give you an option to choose which sex you wanted to
play. They told me that the extra cost in artist time to do a new set of
protaganist artwork, and the extra room on the disk that that would take up
(which would eat into room needed to store the rooms of the haunted house)
made this unreasonable.  How much more so for 8-bit artwork?

You might as well ask why Lucasfilm doesn't do a version of Indiana Jones
that comes on CD ROM and has Harrsion Ford speaking all the text in the game.
--
-- David Phillip Oster - At least the government doesn't make death worse.
-- oster@well.sf.ca.us = {backbone}!well!oster