[comp.sys.mac.programmer] These 'acur' resources, am I missing something...

time@tbomb.ice.com (Tim Endres) (12/23/90)

I have been noticing more and more lately these 'acur' animated cursor
resources. Is this just something that can be used in place of MPW's
cursors for RotateCursor() calls, or is this something that will animate
cursors "automatically" without making these rotate calls?

tim.

daven@svc.portal.com (12/24/90)

In article <1CE00001.y0hdqe@tbomb.ice.com> time@tbomb.ice.com writes:

>I have been noticing more and more lately these 'acur' animated cursor
>resources. Is this just something that can be used in place of MPW's
>cursors for RotateCursor() calls, or is this something that will animate
>cursors "automatically" without making these rotate calls?

Tim,

A quick check of spInsideMac and MacTechNotes stacks show no references
to the 'acur' resource.

I don't believe that Apple has ever documented the use of 'acur', even
though the Finder uses it. Instead, I think there was an article a year or
two ago in MacTutor that described the 'acur' and how to use it in your
own applications.

My recollection is that the 'acur' resource is used a nothing more than
a convience. You still have to write the cursor animation code yourself.
However, once you've done so, it allows others to change the animated
cursor to one of their liking.

I think the 'acur' tells you how many frames are in the animated sequence,
which cursor resources are involved, and the delay required befor showing
the next frame.

   Dave Newman              |  daven@svc.portal.com        |  AppleLink: D0025
   Sofware Ventures Corp.   |  AOL: MicroPhone             |  CIS: 76004,2161
   Berkeley, CA  94705      |  WELL: tinman@well.sf.ca.us  |  (415) 644-3232

n67786@lehtori.tut.fi (Nieminen Tero) (12/25/90)

In article <1990Dec24.040333.17271@svc.portal.com> daven@svc.portal.com writes:
   A quick check of spInsideMac and MacTechNotes stacks show no references
   to the 'acur' resource.

   I don't believe that Apple has ever documented the use of 'acur', even
   though the Finder uses it. Instead, I think there was an article a year or
   two ago in MacTutor that described the 'acur' and how to use it in your
   own applications.

   My recollection is that the 'acur' resource is used a nothing more than
   a convience. You still have to write the cursor animation code yourself.
   However, once you've done so, it allows others to change the animated
   cursor to one of their liking.

   I think the 'acur' tells you how many frames are in the animated sequence,
   which cursor resources are involved, and the delay required befor showing
   the next frame.

I remember thet the cursor animation was somehow documented in the MPW
manual (both Pascal and C). Theese MPW languages have routines to use
these animated cursors also. I used animated "busy" cursor in one
program and if I remember correctly I used the MPW Pascal library
routines. As I remember it there's only one catch: They use global
memory so they cannot be used in DAs.

--
   Tero Nieminen                    Tampere University of Technology
   n67786@cc.tut.fi                 Tampere, Finland, Europe

Lawson.English@p88.f15.n300.z1.fidonet.org (Lawson English) (12/27/90)

Nieminen Tero writes in a message to All

NT> I remember thet the cursor animation was somehow documented in
NT> the MPW manual (both Pascal and C). Theese MPW languages have
NT> routines to use these animated cursors also. I used animated
NT> "busy" cursor in one program and if I remember correctly I used
NT> the MPW Pascal library routines. As I remember it there's only
NT> one catch: They use global memory so they cannot be used in DAs.

What most people don't realize is that cursor animation can slow down a
program
by 20 to 90% (if it is totally without disk I/O).

Time the routine with and without cursor animation and see when the
performance
starts to noticibly degrade. You may need to modify just how often your beach
ball spins per widget processed.

Lawson

--
Uucp: ...{gatech,ames,rutgers}!ncar!asuvax!stjhmc!300!15.88!Lawson.English
Internet: Lawson.English@p88.f15.n300.z1.fidonet.org

Lawson.English@f20.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Lawson English) (12/27/90)

Nieminen Tero writes in a message to All

NT> I remember thet the cursor animation was somehow documented in
NT> the MPW manual (both Pascal and C). Theese MPW languages have
NT> routines to use these animated cursors also. I used animated
NT> "busy" cursor in one program and if I remember correctly I used
NT> the MPW Pascal library routines. As I remember it there's only
NT> one catch: They use global memory so they cannot be used in DAs.

What most people don't realize is that cursor animation can slow down a
program
by 20 to 90% (if it is totally without disk I/O).

Time the routine with and without cursor animation and see when the
performance
starts to noticibly degrade. You may need to modify just how often your beach
ball spins per widget processed.

Lawson

--
Uucp: ...{gatech,ames,rutgers}!ncar!asuvax!stjhmc!300!15.88!Lawson.English
Internet: Lawson.English@p88.f15.n300.z1.fidonet.org

--
Lawson English - via FidoNet node 1:105/14
    UUCP: ...!{uunet!glacier, ..reed.bitnet}!busker!226!20!Lawson.English

oster@well.sf.ca.us (David Phillip Oster) (01/10/91)

In article <638.2783DEF7@busker.fidonet.org> Lawson.English@f20.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Lawson English) writes:
>What most people don't realize is that cursor animation can slow down a
>program
>by 20 to 90% (if it is totally without disk I/O).
If it slows the program down by even 1%, you are doing it wrong.
Remember, you change the cursor picture maybe three times a second, and
the machine executes almost a million times faster than that.
--
-- David Phillip Oster - At least the government doesn't make death worse.
-- oster@well.sf.ca.us = {backbone}!well!oster