[comp.sys.mac.programmer] A silly question for some one who know MPW

davidp@calvin.usc.edu (David Peterson) (01/10/91)

How do I go about using ResEdit files and getting CreateMake to
recognize them.

Currently I just use a single line ".r" file in the form:

	Include "ResEditFile.rsrc";

but 'make' only checks to see if the .r file has changed, not the
included file, so I have to do a full build to get any resource
changes implemented in my program.

I know I can link my object code directly into the ResEdit file
(providing its set up right) but I'd rather keep it seperate, and
just link it all into a new file.

Thanks,
-dave.

lemke@radius.com (Steve Lemke) (01/11/91)

davidp@calvin.usc.edu (David Peterson) writes:

>Currently I just use a single line ".r" file in the form:
>	Include "ResEditFile.rsrc";
>but 'make' only checks to see if the .r file has changed, not the
>included file, so I have to do a full build to get any resource
>changes implemented in my program.
>
>I know I can link my object code directly into the ResEdit file
>(providing its set up right) but I'd rather keep it seperate, and
>just link it all into a new file.

It's not a silly question, but a good one, and one I've also asked...

You've almost got it, but your Make file should look like this:

-------- begin sample make file ---------

Installer.o /f/ Installer.c Installer.h
    C -n -w Installer.c -o Installer.o

Installer /ff/ Installer.rsrc Installer.r
    Rez -a -o Installer Installer.r

Installer /ff/ Installer.make Installer.o
    Link -w -t APPL {CLibraries}... Installer.o -o Installer

--------- end sample make file ----------

The /f/ is a curly "f" (option-f), and /ff/ is a double curly "f".
The {CLibraries}... is where you should put all of the needed libraries.

I had to deal with this same problem - the programmer who worked on
this before I did always linked the compiled code directly into the
original resource file.  So, I made Installer.r, and put the /ff/
lines in.  My Installer.r file is just like yours.

Good luck...

Steve
--
----- Steve Lemke, (now in) Software Engineering, Radius Inc., San Jose -----