[comp.sys.mac.programmer] MultiFinder Programmer's Guide question 3

bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) (01/11/91)

Programmer's Guide to MultiFinder p 3-14 discusses how to tell
whether WaitNextEvent() is implemented.  There is one of those
4-diamond Note things that says: "WaitNextEvent does not conflict
with any OS trap, so the above test is valid on 64K ROMs."

However, the code in question contains the comment "WaitNextEvent
and HFSDispatch both have the same trap number ($60)..."

This seems to be a discrepancy.  What am I missing?
--
Paul DuBois
dubois@primate.wisc.edu

mystone@mondo.engin.umich.edu (Dean Yu) (01/11/91)

In article <3723@uakari.primate.wisc.edu> bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) writes:
>Programmer's Guide to MultiFinder p 3-14 discusses how to tell
>whether WaitNextEvent() is implemented.  There is one of those
>4-diamond Note things that says: "WaitNextEvent does not conflict
>with any OS trap, so the above test is valid on 64K ROMs."
>
>However, the code in question contains the comment "WaitNextEvent
>and HFSDispatch both have the same trap number ($60)..."

  No problem here.  _WaitNextEvent is a toolbox trap and _HFSDispatch is an
OS trap.  The 64K ROMs didn't have HFS implemented in them, so there's no
conflict.

Dean Yu                            | E-mail:    mystone@mondo.engin.umich.edu
Patches 'R' Us                     | Real-mail: Dean Yu
A Division of Cyberite Systems     |            909 Church St Apt C
                                   |            Ann Arbor, MI 48104
I'm not the voice of Reason, much  | Phone:     313 662-4073
    less the voice of Cyberite.    |            313 662-4163

bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) (01/11/91)

From article <1991Jan10.203702.12535@engin.umich.edu>, by mystone@mondo.engin.umich.edu (Dean Yu):
>   No problem here.  _WaitNextEvent is a toolbox trap and _HFSDispatch is an
> OS trap.  The 64K ROMs didn't have HFS implemented in them, so there's no
> conflict.

Oh...yeah.  Sheesh, am I dumb sometimes.  (All the time?)
Thanks.
--
Paul DuBois
dubois@primate.wisc.edu

In article <3723@uakari.primate.wisc.edu> bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) writes:
>Programmer's Guide to MultiFinder p 3-14 discusses how to tell
>whether WaitNextEvent() is implemented.  There is one of those
>4-diamond Note things that says: "WaitNextEvent does not conflict
>with any OS trap, so the above test is valid on 64K ROMs."
>
>However, the code in question contains the comment "WaitNextEvent
>and HFSDispatch both have the same trap number ($60)..."
>
>This seems to be a discrepancy.  What am I missing?

The Programmers guide makes an unwarranted assumption:  That someone using
the 64K ROMs is not using HFS.  The problem is that there is a file called
Hard Disk 20 which implements HFS under the 64K ROMs.  The code is right
and the note is wrong.