[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Looking for Discipline

tedj@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Ted Johnson) (02/27/88)

Does anyone know where I can get the Public Domain utility program
called "Discipline"?  Scott Knaster mentions it in "How to Write
Macintosh Software", p95.  It is a program that checks your ROM
parameters, to make sure they have reasonable values.

-Ted

thomas@duteca (Thomas Okken) (12/28/90)

(I posted this question some time ago, but I have reason to doubt whether
it got through to the rest of the world, so here it is again.)

I'm looking for a utility (INIT?) called Discipline. This utility checks
the parameters passed to Mac Toolbox and OS calls for validity, so you can
catch those very nasty and hard-to-find bugs that you get when an erroneous
trap call corrupts system data structures.
This utility should work together with MacsBug, and I found a reference to
it in the MacsBug manual, but it seems only registered developers have easy
access to it. Where can a mere mortal like myself obtain this gadget?
Some FTP site maybe? Any help would be appreciated!

Thomas (thomas@duteca.et.tudelft.nl)

Thomas.Okken@f20.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Thomas Okken) (12/29/90)

From: thomas@duteca

--
Thomas Okken - via FidoNet node 1:105/14
    UUCP: ...!{uunet!glacier, ..reed.bitnet}!busker!226!20!Thomas.Okken

Chris.Gehlker@p12.f56.n114.z1.fidonet.org (Chris Gehlker) (01/01/91)

TO> I'm looking for a utility (INIT?) called Discipline. This utility
TO> checks the parameters passed to Mac Toolbox and OS calls for
TO> validity, so you can catch those very nasty and hard-to-find
TO> bugs that you get when an erroneous trap call corrupts system
TO> data structures. This utility should work together with MacsBug,
TO> and I found a reference to it in the MacsBug manual, but it seems
TO> only registered developers have easy access to it.

I don't think it really exists.  It's not on the developer CDs or the ETO CDs.

--
Uucp: ...{gatech,ames,rutgers}!ncar!asuvax!stjhmc!56.12!Chris.Gehlker
Internet: Chris.Gehlker@p12.f56.n114.z1.fidonet.org

daven@svc.portal.com (01/05/91)

In article <33839.277FF08D@stjhmc.fidonet.org> Chris.Gehlker@p12.f56.n114.z1.fidonet.org (Chris Gehlker) writes:
>TO> I'm looking for a utility (INIT?) called Discipline.
>
>I don't think it really exists.  It's not on the developer CDs or the ETO CDs.

This another nice debugging utility that I believe is still in beta test
by Apple. I'm told that it works very nicely with TMON Pro and the newer
Apple Macsbug's.

   Dave Newman              |  daven@svc.portal.com        |  AppleLink: D0025
   Sofware Ventures Corp.   |  AOL: MicroPhone             |  CIS: 76004,2161
   Berkeley, CA  94705      |  WELL: tinman@well.sf.ca.us  |  (415) 644-3232

sobiloff@thor.acc.stolaf.edu (Chrome Cboy) (01/05/91)

In article <33839.277FF08D@stjhmc.fidonet.org> Chris.Gehlker@p12.f56.n114.z1.fidonet.org (Chris Gehlker) writes:
>TO> I'm looking for a utility (INIT?) called Discipline. This utility
>
>I don't think it really exists.  It's not on the developer CDs or the ETO CDs.

Err, it was mentioned in a recent "Stop Byte" editorial in Byte magazine as
a fantastic idea of Steve Capp's (I *think*; I don't have the issue here
to double-check the author's name). So, the question remains, where the heck
to get this utility?! I'd really like to use it on stuff I'm working on--I'm
sure I've made a few misteaks here and there.... :-)
--
						    _____________
___________________________________________________/ Chrome Cboy \______________

jmunkki@hila.hut.fi (Juri Munkki) (01/05/91)

In article <1991Jan5.013532.4524@svc.portal.com> daven@svc.portal.com writes:
>In article <33839.277FF08D@stjhmc.fidonet.org> Chris.Gehlker@p12.f56.n114.z1.fidonet.org (Chris Gehlker) writes:
>>TO> I'm looking for a utility (INIT?) called Discipline.
>>
>>I don't think it really exists.  It's not on the developer CDs or the ETO CDs.
>>
>This another nice debugging utility that I believe is still in beta test
>by Apple. I'm told that it works very nicely with TMON Pro and the newer
>Apple Macsbug's.

TMON has discipline as one of the user area routines. You can choose between
lenient and strict discipline. Either way, most Macintosh applications make
slightly illegal calls.

Common problems are calling SetPort with a nil pointer and other similar
horrors. In fact, I just tried discipline on a bug I had been trying to
locate and it caught one illegal handle... I hope that was the problem.

Programmers: If you have TMON, use strict discipline before you sell, post
or give away any of your code. Discipline doesn't bother you unless there
really is a problem. I can't notice any slowdown while discipline is active.

  / Juri Munkki	    /  Helsinki University of Technology   /  Wind  / Project /
 / jmunkki@hut.fi  /  Computing Center Macintosh Support  /  Surf  /  STORM  /

Lawson.English@p88.f15.n300.z1.fidonet.org (Lawson English) (01/07/91)

Chrome Cboy writes in a message to All

CC> Err, it was mentioned in a recent "Stop Byte" editorial in Byte
CC> magazine as a fantastic idea of Steve Capp's (I *think*; I don't
CC> have the issue here to double-check the author's name). So, the
CC> question remains, where the heck to get this utility?! I'd really
CC> like to use it on stuff I'm working on--I'm sure I've made a
CC> few misteaks here and there.... :-)

I just hit the programmer's key, got into TMON, and toggled pages in the user's
area until I found something called "trap discipline." Is this what you meant?
Came with the latest version of TMON.

Lawson

--
Uucp: ...{gatech,ames,rutgers}!ncar!asuvax!stjhmc!300!15.88!Lawson.English
Internet: Lawson.English@p88.f15.n300.z1.fidonet.org

Lawson.English@p88.f15.n300.z1.fidonet.org (Lawson English) (01/07/91)

Juri Munkki writes in a message to All

JM> Programmers: If you have TMON, use strict discipline before you
JM> sell, post or give away any of your code. Discipline doesn't
JM> bother you unless there really is a problem. I can't notice any
JM> slowdown while discipline is active.

SetRect occasionally will cause yelps, I am not sure why. One of my mentors
said (without explaining and I'm too stupid to ask questions when I get a chance)
that it was not relevant to discipline's purpose when SetRect made it antsy.

Lawson

--
Uucp: ...{gatech,ames,rutgers}!ncar!asuvax!stjhmc!300!15.88!Lawson.English
Internet: Lawson.English@p88.f15.n300.z1.fidonet.org

THOR.JOHNSON@f1009.n124.z1.FIDONET.ORG (THOR JOHNSON) (01/12/91)

I don't know where/if you can get a Discipline init, but an identical
feature (the same code, perhaps?) is built into TMON (which is worth
buying for that reason alone).

^^^^^
The above statement expresses the views of the individual and does
not necessarily reflect the views or concerns of this place of origin.

--
THOR JOHNSON - via FidoNet node 1:105/14
    UUCP: ...!{uunet!glacier, ..reed.bitnet}!busker!124!1009!THOR.JOHNSON