[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Summary of MacII Disapp/Game Recs

mil@mendel.acc.Virginia.EDU (Maria I. Lasaga) (01/14/91)

Below is a summary of e-mail and net replies to an earlier posting of
mine about "Mac II disappointment/request for game recs."  First I will
summarize the opinions about why there is a lack of color/full-screen
applications for the Mac.  Then I will summarize the discussion on the
programming difficulties or lack thereof in developing such
applications.  Lastly, I list the suggestions of existing games (and
other applications) with color/full-screen capabilities.

****************
Why the problem?
****************

Many owners of various Mac II models expressed similar
disappointment with software performance on large-screen, color
monitors.  The almost unanimous rationale for such shortfalls in
currently available software seems to be one of supply/demand:  there
isn't enough demand yet for software developers to spend time and
money to develop color/large-screen versions of their applications;
the demand is becoming greater with the sales of the new machines;
but the demand will probably remain low unless/until Apple begins to
sell a color-capable macintosh at a much lower price.

About the Programming Difficulties or Lack Thereof

Lawson English (Lawson.English@p88.f15.n300.z1.fidonet.org),

John Calhoun (mlab2@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu), in article

 Johnny Lee (jlee4@spurge.uwaterloo.ca), in article

David Phillip Oster (oster@well.sf.ca.us) in <22532@well.sf.ca.us>

<34584.278C73D5@stjhmc.fidonet.org> writes:

> I'm currently designing an educational package that may run on
> different sizescreens, may need to have resizable fonts for seeing-
> impaired students, etc.  There are no "if-then-else's" to decide how
> to big to make the screen: things are merely scaled to the screen
> (with exceptions when it looks "funny"). I'm using the TCL's with
> Think Pascal, so I have a resizable pane that takes its location from
> the pane to the left and above, with a default to a fixed location if
> there is no leftmost/abovemost pane.

Suggestions for Games/Applications that Can
Fill a Large Screen and Use Color

An extremely informative e-mail reply (not cited by name, since sent
privately on bitnet) revealed the following:
1.  For many games, the b&w versions are sold "over the counter."  The
    customer may need to request a color version from the publisher.
2.  Regarding Adobe Illustrator, it only has color in the preview mode, and
    that is dithered color.  Illustrator can work in 16 bit mode, but not 24/32
    bit mode.  Aldus Freehand also has 16 bit preview mode [unclear whether
    this is also dithered--mil].  Studio/32 and Studio/8 are two very good
    color paint programs.

Next, a list of the suggested games with _both_ color and full-screen
capabilities:
-SimEarth is in color and recognizes the size of your monitor.
-Shanghai, by Activison, has great full screen color graphics and
  sound on the Mac IIsi.  It's a solitaire game based on Mah Jongg tiles.
- OIDS is a game that works in 16 color mode.
   Joe Hold (jholt@adobe.COM) in article <9872@adobe.UUCP> of
   comp.sys.mac.games writes:
   > ...OIDS shipped on January 9th. ...OIDS is a fast arcade game which
   > combines elements of Asteroids, Defender and Choplifter. ...OIDS
   > runs on every Macintosh, including ... the new IIlc's and IIsi's.
   > What's really cool is that OIDS fills your entire screen with the
   > playfield, even on a 19" color monitor!
   > FTL's number in San Diego is (619) 453-4711.

Finally, below is a list of suggested games that run in color, although it
was _not_ clear which if any of these could accomodate a large screen:
-SimCity, and Tetris work well, in color on the IIcx (with lots of nice
 music).  _Should_ run on an si.
-Leprechaun is a full (256) color arcade/puzzle game with digital sound.
-For D&D fans, there are the Might & Magic games, at least
 one of which is available in color if you write the publisher.
-SeaHaven Towers.
-Iraq Attack.
-Orb Mazez.
-Stained Glass.
-Crystal  Quest.
-SkyShadow.
-Pipe Dream.
-Harpoon.

Thanks to all who replied to my earlier posting!
(I have sent the suggestions to my brother.)

Maria I. Lasaga
Dept. of Psychology
Gilmer Hall
University of Virginia