[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Mac Screen Dumps

rubin@dimetrodon.cis.ohio-state.edu (daniel j rubin) (01/11/91)

I heard that there is an easy way to dump the screen for the Machintosh to
a MacPaint file, hold down the OPTION and COMMAND keys and press 4, but this
is not working.  Does anybody out there know the correct way to do this or
the names of some good pubic domain or shareware programs that will take a
snapshot or section of the Desktop and place in the clipboard or a MacPaint
( or similar ) file.

Thanks in Advance						- Dan Rubin

stevec@Apple.COM (Steve Christensen) (01/11/91)

<rubin@dimetrodon.cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:
>I heard that there is an easy way to dump the screen for the Machintosh to
>a MacPaint file, hold down the OPTION and COMMAND keys and press 4, but this
>is not working.  Does anybody out there know the correct way to do this or

COMMAND-SHIFT-3 dumps the screen to a MacPaint file
COMMAND-SHIFT-4 dumps it to an ImageWriter printer

steve

  Steve Christensen	|  Apple Computer, Inc.		|  Disclaimer:
  stevec@apple.com	|  Cupertino, CA  95014		|   a lie...or not.

dowdy@apple.com (Tom Dowdy) (01/12/91)

In article <47969@apple.Apple.COM>, stevec@Apple.COM (Steve Christensen) writes:
> <rubin@dimetrodon.cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:
> >I heard that there is an easy way to dump the screen for the Machintosh to
> >a MacPaint file, hold down the OPTION and COMMAND keys and press 4, but this
>
> COMMAND-SHIFT-3 dumps the screen to a MacPaint file
> COMMAND-SHIFT-4 dumps it to an ImageWriter printer

As a semi interesting aside, I was once told a way to remember which
key did what.  The "4" key has a "$" above it, and printouts cost
money.

I never again forgot which was which.

 Tom Dowdy                 Internet:  dowdy@apple.COM
 Apple Computer MS:81EQ    UUCP:      {sun,voder,amdahl,decwrl}!apple!dowdy
 20525 Mariani Ave         AppleLink: DOWDY1
 Cupertino, CA 95014
 "The 'Ooh-Ah' Bird is so called because it lays square eggs."

kr@asacsg.mh.nl (Koos Remigius) (01/14/91)

From article <87191@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu>, by rubin@dimetrodon.cis.ohio-state.edu (daniel j rubin):
> I heard that there is an easy way to dump the screen for the Machintosh to
> a MacPaint file, hold down the OPTION and COMMAND keys and press 4, but this
> is not working.  Does anybody out there know the correct way to do this or
> the names of some good pubic domain or shareware programs that will take a
> snapshot or section of the Desktop and place in the clipboard or a MacPaint
> ( or similar ) file.
>
> Thanks in Advance						- Dan Rubin

OPTION-COMMAND and press 3 saves a screen image into a MacPaint File,
OPTION-COMMAND and press 4 prints a screen image on an ImageWriter only.

This may not work if you have a color screen,

Cheers,
	Koos

--
Koos Remigius			      kr@mh.nl via internet backbones
Asac Nederland B.V	              uucp: ..!{uunet,hp4nl}!mh.nl!kr

francis@uchicago.edu (Francis Stracke) (01/15/91)

In article <11696@goofy.Apple.COM> dowdy@apple.com (Tom Dowdy) writes:
   In article <47969@apple.Apple.COM>, stevec@Apple.COM (Steve Christensen) writes:
  [...]
   > COMMAND-SHIFT-3 dumps the screen to a MacPaint file
   > COMMAND-SHIFT-4 dumps it to an ImageWriter printer

   As a semi interesting aside, I was once told a way to remember which
   key did what.  The "4" key has a "$" above it, and printouts cost
   money.

Well, they cost *somebody* money.  Not necessarily the person doing
the printing, though. :-)

| Francis Stracke		| My opinions are my own.  I don't steal them.|
| University of Chicago		| Until you stalk and overrun,	     	      |
| francis@zaphod.uchicago.edu	|  you can't devour anyone. -- Hobbes 	      |