[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Problem with List Manager

nebel@wam.umd.edu (Chris D. Nebel) (01/16/91)

I've written a package based on the List Manager for putting scrolling lists
in windows and dialogs, and it mostly works.  There is one bizarre bug,
however: if a list is only partly full (e.g. the display rect can show 6 items,
but there's only one in the list) there is usually a "dead" spot in the blank
area.  By "dead" I mean that mouse clicks in that area are completely ignored
by LClick.  Say there's an item selected.  If I click in the dead spot, the
selection won't change!  The spot seems to be the same size as an item, and
it's always a couple of "items" beyond the last real item in the list.  I know
LClick gets called when I click the dead spot, because if I double-click it,
it acts as if I double-clicked on whatever's selected.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Chris Nebel
nebel@wam.umd.edu

bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) (01/16/91)

I don't know the answer to this problem, but I once noticed the
same problem with one of my programs.  Then at some stage during
development it went away and I've not seen it again.  I never
figured out whether it was due to some bug of mine, or whether I
just happened to tickle the List Manager in just the right way.
I figured the former, but perhaps not.
--
Paul DuBois
dubois@primate.wisc.edu

keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) (01/17/91)

In article <1991Jan16.030301.23681@wam.umd.edu> nebel@wam.umd.edu (Chris D. Nebel) writes:
>I've written a package based on the List Manager for putting scrolling lists
>in windows and dialogs, and it mostly works.  There is one bizarre bug,
>however: if a list is only partly full (e.g. the display rect can show 6 items,
>but there's only one in the list) there is usually a "dead" spot in the blank
>area.  By "dead" I mean that mouse clicks in that area are completely ignored
>by LClick.  Say there's an item selected.  If I click in the dead spot, the
>selection won't change!  The spot seems to be the same size as an item, and
>it's always a couple of "items" beyond the last real item in the list.  I know
>LClick gets called when I click the dead spot, because if I double-click it,
>it acts as if I double-clicked on whatever's selected.

Chris,

This isn't a problem of yours; it's a problem with the List Manager.
When determining if a click is off the end of a partial list, it kind
of skids to a stop. There are magic "dead" spots, as well as magic
"live" spots which you have very little control over. I remember that
one guy here tried for several days to program around them,
unsuccessfully.

INTERNET: keith@apple.com
"Argue for your Apple, and sure enough, it's yours" - Keith Rollin, Contusions