[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Using the Sound Manager

keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) (01/17/91)

In article <17781@brahms.udel.edu> moyer@brahms.udel.edu (Eric Moyer) writes:

>    Well, nobody ansered my last request, so perhaps I asked the wrong
>question. Here goes again...
>    I had assumed (perhaps wrongly) that the sound manager was capable of
>being passed a handle to a 'snd ' resource, and playing that resource while
>the main processor continued to execute code.
>    (1) is this true?
>    (2) Could someone send or point me to some sample code to do this? SndPlay
>         halts execution, so that's no good, and I can't decipher the process
>         of instructing the synthesizers to play a sound using the SoundManager
>         commands detailed in Inside Mac.
>    (3) Is there a tech note that explains the new Sound Manager more
>         robustly than Inside Mac? My index is uncomplete (Feb 1990).

There is sample code and documentation that should answer all of your
questions. The documentation can be found at Apple's ftp site at
apple.com, in the folder dts/mac/docs/soundmgr.hqx. The sample code
_should_ be up there, but it isn't. If you'd like a copy, send a
harassing note to Mark Johnson at mjohnson@apple.com.

INTERNET: keith@apple.com
"Argue for your Apple, and sure enough, it's yours" - Keith Rollin, Contusions