[comp.sys.mac.programmer] ftp-ing

mvg@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Mitchell Gossman) (01/16/91)

I have used ftp frequently in the past, but recently, when trying an ftp
from Sumex, I could not log in with my usual "anonymous" and passwords
including "anonymous", "login", "guest", and my email address, plus a blank
line. What's wrong? Are the procedures different now?

Mitchell Gossman, mvg@pnet51.cts.com

mxmora@unix.SRI.COM (Matt Mora) (01/17/91)

In article <3818@orbit.cts.com> mvg@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Mitchell Gossman) writes:
>I have used ftp frequently in the past, but recently, when trying an ftp
>from Sumex, I could not log in with my usual "anonymous" and passwords
>including "anonymous", "login", "guest", and my email address, plus a blank
>line. What's wrong? Are the procedures different now?
>
>Mitchell Gossman, mvg@pnet51.cts.com

SUMEX has a new policy for FTP. Only 25 anonymous logins are permitted at one
time. The new login procedure also wants a password of your username@host.
I think that it tries to figure out if its looks like a real mail address.

They just installed some new FTP software and are currently having problems
with it. They hope to be able to allow up to 100 user on non-primetime hours.
(pacific time) But right now 25 is the current limit. The reason for the change
they state is that their system would come to a crawl because of too many
anonymous logins.

If I can find the digest posting again and if people want to see it I will post
it.

Matthew Mora                |  my Mac  Matt_Mora@QM.SRI.COM
SRI International           |  my SUN   mxmora@unix.sri.com

ml27192@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (lanett mark) (01/17/91)

mvg@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Mitchell Gossman) writes:

>I have used ftp frequently in the past, but recently, when trying an ftp
>from Sumex, I could not log in with my usual "anonymous" and passwords
>including "anonymous", "login", "guest", and my email address, plus a blank
>line. What's wrong? Are the procedures different now?

I just tried it and got in. I notice that they've changed their system a bit,
and it told me that I was user "19 (of 25)", so perhaps you called at a busy
time (naughty, impolite, etc) and got left out...

Mark Lanett

resnick@cogsci.uiuc.edu (Pete Resnick) (01/17/91)

mvg@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Mitchell Gossman) writes:

>I have used ftp frequently in the past, but recently, when trying an ftp
>from Sumex, I could not log in with my usual "anonymous" and passwords
>including "anonymous", "login", "guest", and my email address, plus a blank
>line. What's wrong? Are the procedures different now?

Sumex has put on the more secure anonymous ftp and some accounting features.
You were always supposed to use your userid as a password so that they
can tell who used it. Now, if you log in as anonymous and the password you
send is not of the for "user@host", it is considered an invalid password.
They also appear to be limiting to 25 anonymous ftp sessions at a time.

pr
--
Pete Resnick             (...so what is a mojo, and why would one be rising?)
Graduate assistant - Philosophy Department, Gregory Hall, UIUC

wlipa@oracle.oracle.com (William Lipa) (01/17/91)

In article <3818@orbit.cts.com> mvg@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Mitchell Gossman) writes:
>I have used ftp frequently in the past, but recently, when trying an ftp
>from Sumex, I could not log in with my usual "anonymous" and passwords
>including "anonymous", "login", "guest", and my email address, plus a blank
>line. What's wrong? Are the procedures different now?

There have indeed been changes with the ftp software at sumex-aim.stanford.edu.
The password checker was originally intended to be more strict with respect
to entering your real mail address, but we found this to cause so many problems
for people that we changed it back to the way it was. Perhaps you will have
better luck now.

The main impact of the change is that anonymous ftp connections are now
limited to 25 at a time. We had been having problems with sudden bursts
of connections that ground sumex to a halt.

Bill Lipa
info-mac-request@sumex-aim.stanford.edu

dave@intercon.com (David S Saunders) (01/18/91)

In article <1991Jan16.193934.26482@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, resnick@cogsci.uiuc.edu
(Pete Resnick) writes:
> Sumex has put on the more secure anonymous ftp and some accounting features.
> You were always supposed to use your userid as a password so that they
> can tell who used it. Now, if you log in as anonymous and the password you
> send is not of the for "user@host", it is considered an invalid password.
> They also appear to be limiting to 25 anonymous ftp sessions at a time.

ThatUs odd... I logged on with Password RFOOS this morning with no problems...

-Me--
Dave Saunders
Intercon Systems Corporation