[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Locking an application to the desktop

Michael_I_Summers@cup.portal.com (01/17/91)

I'd like to be able to place an application icon on the desktop and lock it
down so that the silly user's can't lose/misplace it. What I mean by this is
disabling ALL movement from its location on the desktop. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
	Mike

mxmora@unix.SRI.COM (Matt Mora) (01/17/91)

In article <38111@cup.portal.com> Michael_I_Summers@cup.portal.com writes:
>I'd like to be able to place an application icon on the desktop and lock it
>down so that the silly user's can't lose/misplace it. What I mean by this is

Does that include dragging you application to the trash?

Those poor silly users, how dare they throw away my application!

>disabling ALL movement from its location on the desktop. Any suggestions?

How about don't.   :-)

>Thanks,
>	Mike

Matthew Mora                |  my Mac  Matt_Mora@QM.SRI.COM
SRI International           |  my SUN   mxmora@unix.sri.com

Michael_I_Summers@cup.portal.com (01/17/91)

To clarify my question...
.... the applications are word processors, spreadsheets, databases, etc--
and yes I don't want them trashed or accidently "misplaced" is some folder.

.... How about it is a corporate standard to provide an application "dock"
(ala NeXT)-- and the user's love it.

Still looking for help,
			Mike

Lawson.English@p88.f15.n300.z1.fidonet.org (Lawson English) (01/17/91)

Michael_i_summers@cup.portal.com writes in a message to All

M> I'd like to be able to place an application icon on the desktop
M> and lock it down so that the silly user's can't lose/misplace
M> it. What I mean by this is disabling ALL movement from its location
M> on the desktop. Any suggestions?
M> Thanks,  Mik

Check the BOZO bit and see if it still works. Won't be a permanent fix, though.

Lawson

--
Uucp: ...{gatech,ames,rutgers}!ncar!asuvax!stjhmc!300!15.88!Lawson.English
Internet: Lawson.English@p88.f15.n300.z1.fidonet.org

sam@wolfen.cc.uow.oz (Sam Tan) (01/18/91)

You have two options.

One.

* Get a commercial program like FileGuard or AME or something like that and
  use that program to lock it down.

Two.

* Move your applications to where they're required.
* Break out your copy of MacTools and set the protect bit on them.
* Ta-dah!

Enjoy!

sam@wolfen.cc.uow.edu.au