[comp.sys.mac.programmer] THINK formatting wish

jxf@altair.cis.ksu.edu (Jerry Frain) (01/19/91)

hawley@adobe.COM (Steve Hawley) writes:

>In article <FRANCIS.91Jan16173417@arthur.uchicago.edu> francis@uchicago.edu (Francis Stracke) writes:
>>
>>Another wish-list idea: I wish THINK Pascal (& C, I suppose -- but C
>>doesn't count, it's messy :-) would give you the option to save as a
>>well-formatted *text* file.  Would make it easier to pass programs
>>around.  (Witness the 2 postings today that included phrases along the
>>lines of "It looks better in the THINK <language-name> editor than it
>>does here.")

>I don't think that option belongs in the compiler -- at least not in Think
>C in its current incarnation

You're right, the formatting option does not belong in the compiler.  BUT,
on that analogy, the EDITOR does not _really_ belong in the compiler,
since the essence of the true compiler is the translation source code into
machine code (or some intermediate code).

Unfortunately, the generic Mac environment is such that the editor is
(must be?) coupled with the rest of the package (no plugs for MPW, please)
As such, a better way to format code is desirable.

I simply *love* using c-mode with (GNU) emacs, since I can tailor it to my
own indention style.  If you have never had the opportunity to use an editor
with this characteristic, it increases programmer productivity like you
wouldn't believe.  Really, you wouldn't believe it.

I'd like to see a feature like configurable indention style come to the
THINK (C) editor.

Just my $.02.

  --Jerry

--
Jerry Frain -- Systems Programmer               Kansas State University
                                        Department of Computing & Info Sciences