[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Adding Color Icons using CIcn Edit or Resedit

rjacks@austlcm.sps.mot.com (rodney jacks/vlk9) (01/22/91)

Could anyone explain to me how to add a cicn resource to an Init
so that the color icon will display when the system boots.  I
colorized an existing icon (Bomb Shelter) using Color Icon Editor
and saved it in the file but when I boot my machine I still see
the standard BW Icon.  I read through the documentation that
I have for CIcn Edit but don't know what I am doing wrong.  I
can see the cicn resource in the init file using Resedit so I
know it was inserted.  I recently bought a color monitor and
am trying to add a little color to my life.

Thanks for your help,
-Rodney

What book(s) would you recommend on this subject (how to do these
types of changes using ResEdit or tools like CIcn Edit)?

**  Rodney Jacks                                         **
**  Motorola Inc, Austin, Texas                          **
**  E-mail:  rjacks@austlcm.sps.mot.com                  **

peirce@outpost.UUCP (Michael Peirce) (01/22/91)

In article <1991Jan21.164411.1752@oakhill.sps.mot.com>, rjacks@austlcm.sps.mot.com (rodney jacks/vlk9) writes:

> Could anyone explain to me how to add a cicn resource to an Init
> so that the color icon will display when the system boots.  I
> colorized an existing icon (Bomb Shelter) using Color Icon Editor
> and saved it in the file but when I boot my machine I still see
> the standard BW Icon.  I read through the documentation that
> I have for CIcn Edit but don't know what I am doing wrong.  I
> can see the cicn resource in the init file using Resedit so I
> know it was inserted.  I recently bought a color monitor and
> am trying to add a little color to my life.

Adding a 'cicn' resource that has the same resource ID as the 'ICN#'
should do the trick.                  ================

Of course, make sure you have an up to date version of ShowINIT.a
from Apple.  Look it over to make sure it knows about cicn's.

ResEdit 2.1 has a nice color icon editor...

-- michael

--  Michael Peirce         --   outpost!peirce@claris.com
--  Peirce Software        --   Suite 301, 719 Hibiscus Place
--  Macintosh Programming  --   San Jose, California 95117
--           & Consulting  --   (408) 244-6554, AppleLink: PEIRCE