[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Inside-Out, The Inside Scoop?

DN5@psuvm.psu.edu (01/17/91)

Hi:

For a project I'm doing for Penn State, I need a database engine.  Inside
Out, by Sierra Software Innovations, was suggested to me.  I called them,
and I think that they will do what I need.  However, I'd like some more info
before I lay out the University's bucks for this product.

Has anybody used Inside-Out, or seen a review of it, or seen a product which
used it?  I need to know if it will actually save me time to use this, or
if it would be better just to roll my own (my database needs aren't that
heavy, but I'd rather not re-invent the wheel).

Thanks, and I will summarize any responses.

()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()
D. Jay Newman          !  That is not dead which can eternal lie
dn5@psuvm.psu.edu      !  And with strange eons even death can die
CBEL--Teaching and Learning Technologies Group

omh@cs.brown.edu (Owen M. Hartnett) (01/18/91)

In article <91016.134820DN5@psuvm.psu.edu> DN5@psuvm.psu.edu writes:
>For a project I'm doing for Penn State, I need a database engine.  Inside
>Out, by Sierra Software Innovations, was suggested to me.  I called them,
>and I think that they will do what I need.  However, I'd like some more info
>before I lay out the University's bucks for this product.

Inside Out is a really complete product.  It has a very small number of
apparent bugs (what bugs I found can be circumvented) and the database itself
is very robust.  However, due to the multi-user capability, it is not
terrifically fast for updates and/or additions to the file.  Reads, however,
are very fast.

The product is very well laid out and is actually simpler than some other
third party database products.  What was really annoying, though, was a
nasty licensing fee which they charged for shipping applications when the
product was owned by Shana.  I don't know if Sierra is still charging this
license, perhaps you know that better than I and can respond.

-Owen

Owen Hartnett				omh@cs.brown.edu.CSNET
Brown University Computer Science	omh@cs.brown.edu
					uunet!brunix!omh
"Don't wait up for me tonight because I won't be home for a month."

a_dent@fennel.cc.uwa.oz.au (01/22/91)

In article <91016.134820DN5@psuvm.psu.edu> DN5@psuvm.psu.edu writes:
>For a project I'm doing for Penn State, I need a database engine.  Inside
>Out, by Sierra Software Innovations, was suggested to me.  I called them,
>and I think that they will do what I need.  However, I'd like some more info
>before I lay out the University's bucks for this product.

I've heard that some developers in Australia had problems with Inside Out but
don't know any details.  I don't get on with the people from whom I heard it
so can't chase it up, unfortunately.  One of their gripes was that source code
wasn't available for them to chase their own bugs, I don't know if that's still
the case.

I have been looking at some of the specs for DB Vista III, which is a multi-
platform database engine.  I've spoken to some (OS/2) users here who are very
happy with the product.  It has the major advantages of being multi-platform,
no runtime license fees and source-code availability.  Contact RAIMA Corp. on
800-327-2462 or (206) 747 5570.

However, I decided it was too much iron for the problem I had and I would also
have to put so much work into using it (to maintain a file of variable-length
objects) that the Australian cost wasn't worth it.

SO, by the end of February I will have a set of objects, useable within the
THINK Class Library, but probably also anywhere else, that implement a simple
ISAM file.  File structures will be able to be variable length as it will be
used to keep track of variable-length objects (PICTS and others).

Do you think it worth marketing in the US?  And, if so, what software houses are
in the business of marketing objects (if any, yet)?

If a simpler database model will solve your problem I'd be happy to let you have
a "beta" copy.  It would be working (it better be - the program is targeted for
a February delivery) but would be "beta" in the sense of needing extensions and
packaging for the general marketplace.

If I can't scare up any commercial interest I'll gladly give the stuff away
but I have some nifty caching ideas that should make it fly, and I'd like to
see a commercial market in objects get established SOMEDAY :-)

Andy Dent                     A.D. Software phone 09 249 2719
Mac & VAX programmer          94 Bermuda Dve, Ballajura
a_dent@fennel.cc.uwa.oz       Western Australia  6066
a_dent@fennel.cc.uwa.oz.AU (international)