[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Animating Cursor

gslee@media-lab.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Gene Lee) (01/22/91)

	Can anyone tell me how I can animate my cursor using the
'acur' resource?  I can't find any documentation on it use.

Thanks,

-G. Lee
 gslee@media-lab.media.mit.edu

Gene Lee
gslee@media-lab.media.mit.edu
(Work) (800) DIAL-BPS

Wave after wave, each mightier than the last
'Til last, a ninth one, gathering half the deep
And full of voices, slowly rose and plunged
Roaring, and all the wave was in flame
	-Tennyson "The Coming of Arthur"

mandel@vax.anes.tulane.edu (Jeff E Mandel MD MS) (01/22/91)

In article <4972@media-lab.MEDIA.MIT.EDU> gslee@media-lab.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Gene
Lee) writes:

>        Can anyone tell me how I can animate my cursor using the
>'acur' resource?  I can't find any documentation on it use.

It's described in the MPW 3.x manual, volume 1, appendix F (pp525-30).

  Basically, the routine RotateCursor loads the acur resource, which contains a
list of IDs for curs resources, and with each subsequent call, increments (or
decrements) a counter by a specified amount, moving through the list of
cursors. To do this, it allocates space in the A5 globals, so use of this
routine from a DA or XCMD is tricky. I have previously posted an XCMD which
does this; it should still be in the sumex-aim archive info-mac/card/xcmd
directory as spinning-cursor or such. If you can't find it, mail me and I'll
send it to you.
  I would caution you that I have found that spinning cursors have not been all
that successful for me as a way of convincing users I still love them while my
code grinds away for more than 3-4 seconds. An indicator box which moves at
least once a second seems better tolerated, as the user has some idea how far
into the operation he/she is.

Jeff E Mandel MD MS
Asst. Professor of Anesthesiology
Tulane University School of Medicine