[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Using the print manager - help?

jcocon@hubcap.clemson.edu (james c oconnor) (01/22/91)

I am printing out a pict that may span several sheets of paper.  How do
I print out the latter sheets?  I have the bounding rectangle code all
figured, then I call SetOrigin() to (I thought) offset the drawing of
the picture in the printer.  The first sheet always comes out great, but
the second sheet is always empty.

Any Help?

Thanks,
Jim O'Connor

aep@world.std.com (Andrew E Page) (01/22/91)

In my work with the print manager I seem to recall that there
are several calls that you cannot make during a print run.
It may be that SetOrigin is one of them.

Also are you absolutely sure of your coordinate system??  It took
me several sessions of cursing and looking back to those early
IM V-I chapters before I finally got it right.  Set origin can
be a tricky one, especially within the confines of a printing environment.

--
Andrew E. Page (Warrior Poet)   |   Decision and Effort The Archer and Arrow
Concepts Engineering            |     The difference beteween what we are

jcocon@hubcap.clemson.edu (james c oconnor) (01/22/91)

From article <1991Jan22.021904.2072@world.std.com>, by aep@world.std.com (Andrew E Page):
> In my work with the print manager I seem to recall that there
> are several calls that you cannot make during a print run.
> It may be that SetOrigin is one of them.
> Also are you absolutely sure of your coordinate system??  It took
> me several sessions of cursing and looking back to those early
> IM V-I chapters before I finally got it right.  Set origin can
> be a tricky one, especially within the confines of a printing environment.

[sig deleted]

I changed my method of attack - now I use offsetRect to move around the
printer port's portRect.  This appears to be working.  If you know of
any reason why this won't continue to work, I'd appreciate hearing about
it!

Thanks.
Jim O'Connor

casseres@apple.com (David Casseres) (01/23/91)

In article <1991Jan22.021904.2072@world.std.com> aep@world.std.com (Andrew
E Page) writes:
> In my work with the print manager I seem to recall that there
> are several calls that you cannot make during a print run.
> It may be that SetOrigin is one of them.

No, SetOrigin is fine, and many applications use it to do exactly what the
original poster wants to do -- draw the same large image several times,
using SetOrigin to move the grafport onto a different part of the image
for each page.

> Also are you absolutely sure of your coordinate system??

Yes, that's an easy thing to get wrong.  Also very important: check your
clipRgn and visRgn!

David Casseres
     Exclaimer:  Hey!