[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Ada compiler

jwagner@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Joseph Wagner) (01/19/91)

Does anyone out there know of a good Ada compiler for the Mac?  I just
found out the other day that I have to use it in a class and I would
rather work on my mac than use it as a terminal for the mainframes.
Please e-mail and I will summarize.

| Joseph Wagner			   |  Life is divided into the horrible   |
| jwagner@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu     |  and the miserable - Woody Allen     |

aep@world.std.com (Andrew E Page) (01/19/91)

Meridian systems makes one.  HOWEVER:

it requires AU/X, and it runs about $3000.00 the last time I
checked on it.

Andrew E. Page (Warrior Poet)   |   Decision and Effort
Concepts Engineering            | The Archer and the Arrow
105 Bromfield Rd                |

n67786@lehtori.tut.fi (Nieminen Tero) (01/19/91)

In article <1991Jan19.035515.2976@world.std.com> aep@world.std.com (Andrew E Page) writes:

   Meridian systems makes one.  HOWEVER:

   it requires AU/X, and it runs about $3000.00 the last time I
   checked on it.

I remember seeing an ADA compiler in some late ApdaLog that is an MPW C
2.0 preprocessor and thus runs under MPW without the need for AU/X. The
price though is rather steep like the Meridian. Check the latest ApdaLog.
--
   Tero Nieminen                    Tampere University of Technology
   n67786@cc.tut.fi                 Tampere, Finland, Europe

hpoppe@ncar.ucar.edu (Herb Poppe) (01/23/91)

In article <N67786.91Jan19110646@lehtori.tut.fi> n67786@lehtori.tut.fi
(Nieminen Tero) writes:
> In article <1991Jan19.035515.2976@world.std.com> aep@world.std.com
(Andrew E Page) writes:

>    Meridian systems makes one.  HOWEVER:
>
>    it requires AU/X, and it runs about $3000.00 the last time I
>    checked on it.
>
> I remember seeing an ADA compiler in some late ApdaLog that is an MPW C
> 2.0 preprocessor and thus runs under MPW without the need for AU/X. The
> price though is rather steep like the Meridian. Check the latest ApdaLog.

I understand that Meridian will offer their MPW Ada compiler for the Mac
at greatly reduced prices (about $200) beginning in February. This may be
an "educational" only price.

Herb Poppe             hpoppe@ncar.ucar.edu
NCAR                      (303) 497-1296
1850 Table Mesa Dr.
Boulder, CO  80307-3000

In article <10002@ncar.ucar.edu> hpoppe@ncar.ucar.edu (Herb Poppe) writes:
> In article <N67786.91Jan19110646@lehtori.tut.fi> n67786@lehtori.tut.fi
> (Nieminen Tero) writes:
> > In article <1991Jan19.035515.2976@world.std.com> aep@world.std.com
> (Andrew E Page) writes:
> >
> >    Meridian systems makes one.  HOWEVER:
> >
> >    it requires AU/X, and it runs about $3000.00 the last time I
> >    checked on it.
> >
> > I remember seeing an ADA compiler in some late ApdaLog that is an MPW C
> > 2.0 preprocessor and thus runs under MPW without the need for AU/X. The
> > price though is rather steep like the Meridian. Check the latest
ApdaLog.

> I understand that Meridian will offer their MPW Ada compiler for the Mac
> at greatly reduced prices (about $200) beginning in February. This may
be
> an "educational" only price.

Here is some additional information from comp.lang.ada:

"Meridian was recently allowing
students and teachers to purchase their Mac AdaVantage, which is an MPW-
based system (with MPW bundled) for $200. I'd recommend calling Claudia
Coleman at Meridian (800-221-2522) to get a reading from her on what the
current policy is."

[Someone else called Meridian and was told that the price would be $149
beginning in Feb.]