[comp.sys.mac.programmer] SICNs in Apple Menu

francis@uchicago.edu (Francis Stracke) (01/19/91)

Is there something unusual about the Apple Menu when it comes to
putting SICNs (& ICONs) into it? I used ResEdit 2.1 to install them on
my About... item; but all I get is the icon of a system file.  Is
there a trick to it? Is it maybe not possible? I know I'm doing the
basic step right, because it's appearing in another menu just fine.

Thanks!

--
/=============================================================================\
| Francis Stracke		| My opinions are my own.  I don't steal them.|

dwright@hmcvax.claremont.edu (Dan "(" Wright)) (01/19/91)

In article <FRANCIS.91Jan18182651@math.uchicago.edu>, francis@uchicago.edu (Francis Stracke) writes...

>Is there something unusual about the Apple Menu when it comes to
>putting SICNs (& ICONs) into it? I used ResEdit 2.1 to install them on
>my About... item; but all I get is the icon of a system file.  Is
>there a trick to it? Is it maybe not possible? I know I'm doing the
>basic step right, because it's appearing in another menu just fine.

Not possible.  This is documented, though it's not easy to find.  It is
mentioned in the new ResEdit Reference, for one.  The problem arises only under
Multifinder (apparently Multifinder mucks around with resources when the apple
menu is drawn..)

Dan Wright '92          DWRIGHT@SIF	   dwright@hmcvax.claremont.edu
Harvey Mudd College, Claremont, CA	Mac Systems Manager  [Std disclaimers]

bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) (01/20/91)

From article <FRANCIS.91Jan18182651@math.uchicago.edu>, by francis@uchicago.edu (Francis Stracke):

> Is there something unusual about the Apple Menu when it comes to
> putting SICNs (& ICONs) into it? I used ResEdit 2.1 to install them on
> my About... item; but all I get is the icon of a system file.  Is
> there a trick to it? Is it maybe not possible? I know I'm doing the
> basic step right, because it's appearing in another menu just fine.

Isn't the Apple menu supposed to be considered "owned by MultiFinder"
and not to be messed with other than putting the item text in it?

Tech Note 180-8 says "Applications should avoid doing anything untoward
with the Apple menu. For example, if your application puts an icon next
to the "About MyApplication..." item, MultiFinder may unceremoniously
write over it. It is important to consider the Apple Menu owned by the
system. You can have the standard about item, but other than this, you
should avoid using the Apple menu."

Hmm.  I wonder what that means for applications that put *two* items
at the top of the Apple menu (e.g., "About" and "Help")...?
--
Paul DuBois
dubois@primate.wisc.edu

urlichs@smurf.sub.org (Matthias Urlichs) (01/22/91)

In comp.sys.mac.programmer, article <3785@uakari.primate.wisc.edu>,
  bin@primate.wisc.edu writes:
<
< Tech Note 180-8 says "Applications should avoid doing anything untoward
< with the Apple menu. For example, if your application puts an icon next
< to the "About MyApplication..." item, MultiFinder may unceremoniously
< write over it. It is important to consider the Apple Menu owned by the
< system. You can have the standard about item, but other than this, you
< should avoid using the Apple menu."
<
< Hmm.  I wonder what that means for applications that put *two* items
< at the top of the Apple menu (e.g., "About" and "Help")...?

Works just fine.
It's only the icons which generate trouble.

--
Matthias Urlichs -- urlichs@smurf.sub.org -- urlichs@smurf.ira.uka.de     /(o\
Humboldtstrasse 7 - 7500 Karlsruhe 1 - FRG -- +49+721+621127(0700-2330)   \o)/

bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) (01/23/91)

From article <y"ndh2.#%4@smurf.sub.org>, by urlichs@smurf.sub.org (Matthias Urlichs):
| In comp.sys.mac.programmer, article <3785@uakari.primate.wisc.edu>,
|   bin@primate.wisc.edu writes:
| < Hmm.  I wonder what that means for applications that put *two* items
| < at the top of the Apple menu (e.g., "About" and "Help")...?
|
| Works just fine.
| It's only the icons which generate trouble.

I know that it works just fine *now*, but will it continue to work?
--
Paul DuBois
dubois@primate.wisc.edu