[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Program 'runs' in LSP, but crashes when app runs

mlab2@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (01/22/91)

Has anyone else had one of those bugs with LSP where it RUNs under the
compiler, but when COMPILED, the app crashes?

Can you characterize those bugs?  It would be nice to have a guide explaining
likely errors when xx crash occurs.

Right now, I have an address error when the standalone runs - no prob under
LSP.  (Maybe I ought to ship it AS source :) ).

john calhoun

mxmora@unix.SRI.COM (Matt Mora) (01/23/91)

In article <28060.279b01f2@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> mlab2@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
>Has anyone else had one of those bugs with LSP where it RUNs under the
>compiler, but when COMPILED, the app crashes?
>
>Can you characterize those bugs?  It would be nice to have a guide explaining
>likely errors when xx crash occurs.

The first thing that comes to mind when something runs while in the LS
environment and not when compiled is that you are not using a valid grafport.
Check all your getport/ setport calls and make sure your ports are valid. I
don't know if LS purposely protects you from this problem to save itself from
becoming trashed but this is usally what it is. (Or something to that effect)

Matthew Mora                |  my Mac  Matt_Mora@QM.SRI.COM
SRI International           |  my SUN   mxmora@unix.sri.com

Lawson.English@p88.f15.n300.z1.fidonet.org (Lawson English) (01/23/91)

mlab2@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes in a message to All

M> Has anyone else had one of those bugs with LSP where it RUNs
M> under the compiler, but when COMPILED, the app crashes?
M> Can you characterize those bugs? It would be nice to have a guide
M> explaining likely errors when xx crash occurs.

Do you have a call or other reference to the TextWindow or the GraphicsWindow
(??) (for debugging or development purposes) that you forgot to take out? This
happened to me, also. Drove me batty...

Lawson

--
Uucp: ...{gatech,ames,rutgers}!ncar!asuvax!stjhmc!300!15.88!Lawson.English
Internet: Lawson.English@p88.f15.n300.z1.fidonet.org

a_dent@fennel.cc.uwa.oz.au (01/24/91)

In article <28060.279b01f2@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu>, mlab2@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
> Has anyone else had one of those bugs with LSP where it RUNs under the
> compiler, but when COMPILED, the app crashes?
>
> Can you characterize those bugs?  It would be nice to have a guide explaining
> likely errors when xx crash occurs.
>
> Right now, I have an address error when the standalone runs - no prob under
> LSP.  (Maybe I ought to ship it AS source :) ).
The following is a repost of part of a recent posting of mine describing woes
with CLists:

2) If you are having trouble with random crashes traversing lists,
particularly a program which works in the THINK environment but
crashes in an application, then may have bad contents in a list. For some
reason, the THINK environment seems a lot more rugged and able to ignore
nonsense handles.  I wrote the following procedure and edited the CList
source, to trap any such occurrences.  The Symantec licensing prohibits me
publishing the modified source, but basically you put lines like the following,
inside the Append, Remove, etc.. procedures:

  checkHandle(theObject, ' called from Append ');

{ include this procedure at the top of the implementation section of CList }
 procedure checkHandle (h: univ Handle; msg: Str255);
  var
   handleSize: Size;
   strHandle: Str255;
 begin
  handleSize := GetHandleSize(Handle(h));
  if handleSize = 0 then begin
    NumToString(Ord4(h), strHandle);
    debugStr(concat('Bad handle in ', msg, '  = ', strHandle));
   end;
 end;  { checkHandle }

> john calhoun
Andy Dent                     A.D. Software phone 09 249 2719
Mac & VAX programmer          94 Bermuda Dve, Ballajura
a_dent@fennel.cc.uwa.oz       Western Australia  6066
a_dent@fennel.cc.uwa.oz.AU (international)

djvelleman@amherst.bitnet (01/24/91)

In article <28060.279b01f2@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu>, mlab2@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
> Has anyone else had one of those bugs with LSP where it RUNs under the
> compiler, but when COMPILED, the app crashes?
>
> Can you characterize those bugs?  It would be nice to have a guide explaining
> likely errors when xx crash occurs.

  Every time that's happened to me, it's been because the configuration of the
heap was different in the two situations, and some relocatable block got
either moved or purged in one case but not the other.
  -Dan Velleman

phils@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Phil Shapiro) (01/25/91)

In article <28060.279b01f2@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> mlab2@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:

   Has anyone else had one of those bugs with LSP where it RUNs under
   the compiler, but when COMPILED, the app crashes?

   Can you characterize those bugs?  It would be nice to have a guide
   explaining likely errors when xx crash occurs.

   Right now, I have an address error when the standalone runs - no prob under
   LSP.  (Maybe I ought to ship it AS source :) ).

The most common problem with applications that don't work outside the
Pascal environment is MultiFinder partition size.  THINK Pascal does
*not* generate a 'SIZE' resource, so if your application needs more
than a 384K partition, you're going to have to create a the 'SIZE'
resource yourself (you could use "Get Info" in the Finder to create
one for you).

	-phil
--
   Phil Shapiro                           Technical Support Analyst
   Language Products Group                     Symantec Corporation