[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Is there a PostScript Previewer ?

brian@granite.jpl.nasa.gov (Brian of ASTD-CP) (01/26/91)

We at JPL need software for displaying or previewing
PostScript files on a Mac screen.  In other words, we
need the equivalent of "Display PostScript," except
running on a Mac.  Does anyone know of such a thing?
Commercial or public domain will be OK.

Thanks in advance.

brian

 . . Brian Beckman . . . . . . . . . . brian@granite.jpl.nasa.gov. . . .
 . . meta-disclaimer: every statement in this message is false . . . . .

jhgillespie@ucdavis.edu (01/26/91)

In article <1991Jan25.221010.19884@jato.jpl.nasa.gov>
brian@granite.jpl.nasa.gov (Brian of ASTD-CP) writes:
>We at JPL need software for displaying or previewing
>PostScript files on a Mac screen

Emerald City Software has a program called Lasertalk
that does exactly this.  The program actually uses the
Laserwriter to compose the picture which may then be
previewed on the Mac screen.  It has extensive Postscript
debugging facilities, e.g. tracing.  The down side is that
it ties up the printer.

I think the company was bought by Aldus, so you might start
by calling them.

thomas@duteca (Thomas Okken) (01/29/91)

> We at JPL need software for displaying or previewing
> PostScript files on a Mac screen.  In other words, we
> need the equivalent of "Display PostScript," except
> running on a Mac.  Does anyone know of such a thing?
> Commercial or public domain will be OK.

You could use Freedom of Press, which is a commercial PostScript interpreter
designed to drive non-PostScript printers. If you let FOP print to ImageSaver,
you can view your output with SuperViewer. (ImageSaver and SuperViewer are
part of a package called SuperGlue, also commercial.)
Unfortunately, I do not know addresses for either company, but you ought to
be able to locate them in any decent Mac magazine.

Thomas (thomas@duteca.et.tudelft.nl)