[comp.sys.mac.programmer] DISASSEMBLER CODE Template for ResEdit

dmittman@beowulf.JPL.NASA.GOV (David Mittman) (01/25/91)

Does there exist a CODE template for ResEdit which acts as a disassembler. This
seems like it would be such a convenient tool. I don't know enough about 68000
assembler myself to produce the template. Any pointers to a product? Thanks.

						- David

lemke@radius.com (Steve Lemke) (01/25/91)

dmittman@beowulf.JPL.NASA.GOV (David Mittman) writes:

>Does there exist a CODE template for ResEdit which acts as a disassembler. This
>seems like it would be such a convenient tool. I don't know enough about 68000
>assembler myself to produce the template. Any pointers to a product? Thanks.

Not that I'm aware of, but I thought I'd share something else that I have
discovered recently:  MacNosy.  It does a really cool job of disassembling
things.  Until recently, I hadn't done much assembly work, but lately I've
had the occassion to wonder "gee, how does _that_ work" or "what does that
little routine do" and MacNosy has enabled me to figure it out in almost
every case.  It's really slick.  I'm sure an ad for the product would tell
you more about it than I could (since I still don't know much about it or
what all it can do) but it really goes a long way beyond just simple dis-
assembly (ala MacsBug).  It puts labels in, shows data sections, stack
frames, etc.  Slick stuff!

--Steve
--
----- Steve Lemke, (now in) Software Engineering, Radius Inc., San Jose -----
----- "I'm not a UNIX wizard, but I play the Postmaster at radius.com." -----

kwilley@mbv.mbvlab.wpafb.af.mil (Kevin Willey) (01/25/91)

In article <11167@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV> dmittman@beowulf.JPL.NASA.GOV
(David Mittman) writes:

> Does there exist a CODE template for ResEdit which acts as a
disassembler. This
> seems like it would be such a convenient tool. I don't know enough about
68000
> assembler myself to produce the template. Any pointers to a product?
Thanks.

>                                                 - David

At last years Developer's Conference, Tom Chavez, the MacApp program manager, mentioned that he had written a RESEDIT template/picker which dissassembled code. He said he would be trying to get it released RSN. Maybe he had some legal difficulties with Apple Lawyers or something.

Tom, if you're out there or if somebody like BBechtel can pass on the request, Where Is the RESEDIT dissassembler?

| Kevin Willey                  |
| Model-Based Vision Laboratory |
| WRDC/AARA                     |
| WPAFB, OH  45433-6543         |
| (513) 255-1115                |

lsr@Apple.com (Larry Rosenstein) (01/26/91)

In article <11167@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV>, dmittman@beowulf.JPL.NASA.GOV (David Mittman) writes:

> Does there exist a CODE template for ResEdit which acts as a disassembler. This
> seems like it would be such a convenient tool. I don't know enough about 68000
> assembler myself to produce the template. Any pointers to a product? Thanks.

I don't know of one, but I believe that MPW 3.1 comes with a library that
disassembled code.

Larry

stearns@Apple.COM (Bryan Stearns) (01/29/91)

In article <11167@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV>, dmittman@beowulf.JPL.NASA.GOV (David Mittman) writes:

> Does there exist a CODE template for ResEdit which acts as a disassembler. This
> seems like it would be such a convenient tool. I don't know enough about 68000
> assembler myself to produce the template. Any pointers to a product? Thanks.

One trick I've found useful is to open a CODE resource within ResEdit,
then break into Macsbug to disassemble pieces of it (in Macsbug, try
"hd CODE" to dump all the CODE resources; in the resulting list, the
one you want has the right ID, but has a different file refnum than the
rest of the CODE resources in the list [which are the ones from ResEdit
itself]).

Bryan Stearns                                      Apple Computer, Inc.
                                        20525 Mariani Avenue, M/S 81-BB
stearns@apple.com                                   Cupertino, CA 95014