[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Wanted: Documentation / Source for PICS player

chaffee@reed.UUCP (Alex Chaffee) (02/05/91)

A while back, there was some talk on this newsgroup about someone writing a
PICS player. Did anyone get anywhere with that? Also, if anyone knows
offhand where I can find a description of the format, I think I misplaced my
copy.

Thanks for your help.

--
Alex Chaffee
chaffee@reed.{UUCP,BITNET}

peirce@outpost.UUCP (Michael Peirce) (02/06/91)

In article <16008@reed.UUCP>, chaffee@reed.UUCP (Alex Chaffee) writes:

> A while back, there was some talk on this newsgroup about someone writing a
> PICS player. Did anyone get anywhere with that? Also, if anyone knows
> offhand where I can find a description of the format, I think I misplaced my
> copy.

I picked this up somewhere...

Here's a summary of the PICS File Format:

    - File Type: 'PICS'
    - A PICS animation is composed of many PICT resources, starting at id 128
    - Numbering is contiguous (128, 129, 130, I)
    - Number of frames is equal to Count1Resources('PICT')
    - PICT resource 128 describes the complete first animation frame. The
      picFrame field of the PICT describes the complete screen size of the
      whole animation (all subsequent frames will be drawn within this rect).
    - The following PICT resources (129, 130, I) can be either:
        - complete frames with the same picFrame as PICT 128
        - an update to the previous frame of a smaller area
        - a null picFrame (no change in the animation)
    - 'INFO' resource (optional), id 128, consiting of:
        - BWColor (integer): 0 if black & white PICTS, 1 if color PICTS
        - Depth (integer): 1,2,4,8,16 preferred color depth
        - Speed (integer): 1 to 200 preferred speed in frames/sec.
            A negative value means, show the frame for abs(value) seconds.
        - Version (integer): version number (currently zero)
        - Creator (longint): signature of creator application
        - Largest (longint): size of the largest frame in bytes

--  Michael Peirce         --   outpost!peirce@claris.com
--  Peirce Software        --   Suite 301, 719 Hibiscus Place
--  Macintosh Programming  --   San Jose, California 95117
--           & Consulting  --   (408) 244-6554, AppleLink: PEIRCE