[comp.sys.mac.programmer] System 7.0 Bug

wayne@helix.nih.gov (Wayne Rasband) (02/02/91)

Does anyone know if Apple plans to fix the bug in the System 7.0 Beta that
prevents you from setting the application memory size to more than 9,999K.
I found I can work around the problem using ResEdit, but that's not a
very satisfactory solution. I have an fx with 20MB of RAM and would like
to use NIH Image to do a 3D reconstruction that will require 16MB.

--wayne

peirce@outpost.UUCP (Michael Peirce) (02/04/91)

In article <917@nih-csl.nih.gov>, wayne@helix.nih.gov (Wayne Rasband) writes:

> Does anyone know if Apple plans to fix the bug in the System 7.0 Beta that
> prevents you from setting the application memory size to more than 9,999K.
> I found I can work around the problem using ResEdit, but that's not a
> very satisfactory solution. I have an fx with 20MB of RAM and would like
> to use NIH Image to do a 3D reconstruction that will require 16MB.

Another work around is to use AppSizer.  It lets you make a temporary
change to an application's size as you launch the application.  You can
also make tha change permanent by using it's SAVE button.

AppSizer doesn't restrict you to 9,999K.

I think AppSizer has shown up on comp.binaries.mac

-- michael, author of AppSizer

--  Michael Peirce         --   outpost!peirce@claris.com
--  Peirce Software        --   Suite 301, 719 Hibiscus Place
--  Macintosh Programming  --   San Jose, California 95117
--           & Consulting  --   (408) 244-6554, AppleLink: PEIRCE

lsr@Apple.com (Larry Rosenstein) (02/05/91)

In article <917@nih-csl.nih.gov>, wayne@helix.nih.gov (Wayne Rasband) writes:

> Does anyone know if Apple plans to fix the bug in the System 7.0 Beta that
> prevents you from setting the application memory size to more than 9,999K.

The current beta version I'm using limits the application's partition size to
100,000K.

wayne@helix.nih.gov (Wayne Rasband) (02/05/91)

In article <11972@goofy.Apple.COM> lsr@Apple.com (Larry Rosenstein) writes:
> The current beta version I'm using limits the application's partition
> size to 100,000K.

Does this mean that when I upgrade to128MB I will only be able to use
100MB with any one application. Don't laugh, I saw a ci at MacWorld that
had 128MB of RAM installed using 16MB composite SIMMS.

--wayne

philipc@runx.oz.au (Philip Craig) (02/07/91)

In article <11972@goofy.Apple.COM> lsr@Apple.com (Larry Rosenstein) writes:
>In article <917@nih-csl.nih.gov>, wayne@helix.nih.gov (Wayne Rasband) writes:
>>

>> Does anyone know if Apple plans to fix the bug in the System 7.0 Beta that
>> prevents you from setting the application memory size to more than 9,999K.
>
>The current beta version I'm using limits the application's partition size to
>100,000K.

Darn! And me with 0.5 gigabytes of virtual memory...

mneerach@iiic.ethz.ch (Matthias Ulrich Neeracher) (02/07/91)

In article <934@nih-csl.nih.gov>, wayne@helix.nih.gov (Wayne Rasband) writes:
|> In article <11972@goofy.Apple.COM> lsr@Apple.com (Larry Rosenstein) writes:
|> > The current beta version I'm using limits the application's partition
|> > size to 100,000K.
|>
|> Does this mean that when I upgrade to128MB I will only be able to use
|> 100MB with any one application.

Except when this one application happens to be an older version of MS Excel :-)

--
Matthias Neeracher                                   mneerach@iiic.ethz.ch
   "These days, though, you have to be pretty technical before you can

Lawson.English@p88.f15.n300.z1.fidonet.org (Lawson English) (02/08/91)

Wayne Rasband writes in a message to All

WR> Does this mean that when I upgrade to128MB I will only be able
WR> to use 100MB with any one application. Don't laugh, I saw a ci
WR> at MacWorld that had 128MB of RAM installed using 16MB composite
WR> SIMMS.

So when is the '040 upgrade with 32-bit clean ROMs coming out for the Se/30?

Lawson

--
Uucp: ...{gatech,ames,rutgers}!ncar!asuvax!stjhmc!300!15.88!Lawson.English
Internet: Lawson.English@p88.f15.n300.z1.fidonet.org