[comp.sys.mac.programmer] How do I display 250 colours on a 256 colour monitor?

hpoppe@ncar.ucar.edu (Herb Poppe) (02/08/91)

In article <18828.27b1ddd7@windy.dsir.govt.nz> sramtrc@windy.dsir.govt.nz
writes:
> I have about 10 colours from the system palette on my desktop including
> coloured windows and menubar; I have a picture that uses a special
palette
> of 240 colours; and my monitor can display 256 colours.
>
> So there are enough colours to display the desktop and picture under
> MultiFinder with exact colour matches. How do I do it?
>
> I tried creating a palette with 240 tolerant colours. When the tolerance
> is $0000 the picture displays perfectly but the desktop colours are wrong
> and the disk icons down the right side disappear. Why? 256 colours is
> enough for everyone.

I believe the answer to this question is that the Finder does not use the
Palette Manager!

Fixed in System 7, so I understand.

Herb Poppe             hpoppe@ncar.ucar.edu
NCAR                      (303) 497-1296
1850 Table Mesa Dr.
Boulder, CO  80307-3000

sramtrc@windy.dsir.govt.nz (02/08/91)

I have about 10 colours from the system palette on my desktop including
coloured windows and menubar; I have a picture that uses a special palette
of 240 colours; and my monitor can display 256 colours.

So there are enough colours to display the desktop and picture under
MultiFinder with exact colour matches. How do I do it?

I tried creating a palette with 240 tolerant colours. When the tolerance
is $0000 the picture displays perfectly but the desktop colours are wrong
and the disk icons down the right side disappear. Why? 256 colours is
enough for everyone. When I make the tolerance $1500 the desktop colours
are right but the picture has some colours wrong and the desktop icons are
missing. When I make the tolerance $4000 the desktop colours are perfect,
the disk icons are present, but my picture is very distorted.

Am I expecting too much from the Palette manager? Do I have to manually
copy those 10 colours into my palette? I don't even know what colour they
are or how to find them. I thought the palette manager handled that sort
of thing. Am I spelling the word "colour" wrongly?

Thanks for your help
Tony Cooper
sramtrc@albert.dsir.govt.nz