[net.micro] Good Z80 programming book wanted.

mark@umcp-cs.UUCP (11/19/83)

Subject: Good Z80 programming book wanted.
Newsgroups: net.micro net.wanted

There are a million books out there on programming the Z-80.
What do you all recommend?  I want something that goes into
some detail on timing, interfacing, and machine instruction.s
I am not at all interested in any operating system or high-level
languages.  Thanks in advance -- I'll summarize to the net.
--
spoken:	mark weiser
UUCP:	{seismo,allegra,brl-bmd}!umcp-cs!mark

weamc@pyuxa.UUCP (11/21/83)

The best Z80 book I think that you will find is published by
Adam Osborne and written by Leventhal. Complete explanation of the
Z80 and opcodes, plus tons of very useful assembly language sub-routines.

                  Andy Cohill  Western Electric, Piscataway

ABN.ISCAMS%usc-isid@sri-unix.UUCP (11/24/83)

I've recently been using "8080/Z80 Assembly Language Techniques for Improved
Programming" by Alan R. Miller (John Wiley & Sons (C) 1981).  I have both
the Leventhal books (Z80 Assembly Language Programming and 8080A-8085
Assembly Language Programming (Osborne/McGraw-Hill)), but kind of prefer the
Miller book for its excellent examples and clearer explanations.  The
Leventhal books, of course, are excellent for looking up and refreshing my
memory on exactly what instructions do, what's affected, execution cycle
tables, etc.

David Kirschbaum
Toad Hall

bch@unc.UUCP (Byron Howes ) (11/26/83)

I picked up a copy of "Z80 Assembly Language Subroutines" by Lance A.
Leventhal and Winthrop Saville (Osborne/McGraw Hill, 1983) a couple of
months ago and have been most impressed by it.  It not only includes
the expected subroutines for various sorts of arithmetic, string and
array handling operations, but includes small bits of code for various
kinds of "how to" functions.  It also contains a complete description,
timings, etc. for the Z80 instruction set.  Also a section on pitfalls
and common programming errors.
--

					Byron Howes
					UNC - Chapel Hill

ABN.COSCOM-CE%usc-isid@sri-unix.UUCP (11/28/83)

I have a book titled "programming the z80" (I think) that is by Rodney
Zaks.  I think it is great.  The best part is that it is set up in
a |very good reference book format. It gives all the commands, examples,
timing cycles, codes for command variations, etc.

A good book store can order it if it isn't carried. Book stores have lists that
reference books by both title and authors.

Kevin Rappold

bbloom%brl@sri-unix.UUCP (11/30/83)

From:      Bob Bloom (TECOM) <bbloom@brl>

I got my Rodney Zaks Z80 programming book from Radio Shack.

Although the cover is very Radio Shackish - garish red and white paper
back, inside it's very good.  and with no RS commercials either!

bob bloom