[comp.sys.mac.programmer] is it possible to change a default radio button with resedit?

bukys@cs.rochester.edu (Liudvikas Bukys) (02/13/91)

In the LaserWriter 6.0.1 driver, the print dialog defaults to "Color/Grayscale"
instead of "Black&White".  I would like to change the default to "Black&White".
Is this possible?

The reason: TOPS Spool 3.0 mishandles certain Excel 2.2 documents if
"Color/Greyscale" is chosen; it prints them over and over again while spitting
out some obscure postscript error.  This is a known bug, and is even in
the release notes.  Sitka (producers of TOPS) had the following two
completely unhelpful suggestions:
	(1) downgrade to LaserWriter 5.2
	(2) tell the user not to forget to click on the "Black&White"
	    radio button.
How's that for standing behind your product?

I guess I could buy a spooler that works (is SuperLaserSpool any better?),
but I'd really prefer not to spend any money right now.

IN SUMMARY:  Is it possible to change default on a radio button?

Liudvikas Bukys
<bukys@cs.rochester.edu>

dweisman@umiami.ir.miami.edu (Ordinary Man) (02/14/91)

In article <1991Feb13.135640.8199@cs.rochester.edu>, bukys@cs.rochester.edu (Liudvikas Bukys) writes:
> In the LaserWriter 6.0.1 driver, the print dialog defaults to "Color/Grayscale"
> instead of "Black&White".  I would like to change the default to "Black&White".
> Is this possible?
>
> IN SUMMARY:  Is it possible to change default on a radio button?
>

> Liudvikas Bukys
> <bukys@cs.rochester.edu>

The default radio button of any dialog of any program is almost always
hard-coded (I think they sometimes use 'CNTL' resources). Usually
right after the dialog is created, the programmer will call GetDItem for the
button and set it's value with SetCtlValue. ResEdit just creates the buttons
but it has no way to set any of them. The only thing ResEdit can set to a
default, is the default push-button (usually OK or something like that) simply
by creating it first. So unless you can hack through the machine code, I
doubt there's a way to fix it.

That is, unless someone has written an INIT or some such utility that allows
this (I'm sorry to say I don't know of any).

If anyone *DOES* know of one, I'd like to know what it is.

--
|   Dan Weisman -  University of Miami - Florida   |  ||   ||   ||   ||   |