[comp.sys.mac.programmer] SourceBug

jordan@Apple.COM (Jordan Mattson) (02/14/91)

Dear Robert -
  As the Product Manager for SourceBug, I will try to give you a couple of
answers to your questions.
  SourceBug is a direct-manipulation source-level debugger that uses MPW
symbol files (like SADE does).  It works on System 7.0, System 6.0.X with
SADE Multifinder 6.1b9, and A/UX 2.0.1.
  It is currently at 1.0d19.  A 1.0b1 version will be shipping on E.T.O. #4.
As soon as it is final we will start shipping it as part of MPW and as a
standalone package from APDA.
  SourceBug is not a replacement for SADE, but rather a 80% to 90% solution
for most of your debugging needs.  There is no way to automate tasks in
SourceBug, so if you want to do that you will still need SADE.
  Hope that this helps you.

--

Jordan Mattson                         UUCP:      jordan@apple.apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc.                   CSNET:     jordan@apple.CSNET

gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (opcode ranger) (02/14/91)

In article <49117@apple.Apple.COM>, jordan@Apple.COM (Jordan Mattson) writes:

[info about SourceBug]
>   It is currently at 1.0d19.  A 1.0b1 version will be shipping on E.T.O. #4.
> As soon as it is final we will start shipping it as part of MPW and as a
> standalone package from APDA.

Thanks very much for the info.  Sounds good!

One question though: why are you waiting 'til the final version to make it
available thru APDA?  I thought the point of APDA -- as opposed to Developers
Tool Express (or whatever it's called) -- was to make available Apple
development products in the early stage of their development, i.e. beta
releases.  Is E.T.O replacing APDA in this regard?  Not to complain, but it
seems that APDA members who don't have CD ROM drives should have similar access
to development tools as those who do.  Or no?

I know, I know, it'll probably only be a month's difference between beta and
final and thus no big deal, but I'm curious as to what future plans Apple has
wrt development tools, specifically wrt APDA and beta releases.

Robert

Robert

= gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu * generic disclaimer: * "It's more fun to =
=            		         * all my opinions are *  compute"         =
=                                * mine                *  -Kraftwerk       =