[comp.sys.mac.programmer] SysEnviron and 32bit clean

heddle@clas01.cebaf.gov (David Heddle) (02/15/91)

Some simple questions:

1) I am using SysEnviron (ignore misspellings) to detect environmental info
   about the Mac being used. My current list of MachineTypes goes up to
   the MacIIci = 9. Could anyone update me as to the MachineType returned
   for newer Macs?

2) How do I detect how much RAM is present (not how much is available,
   but how much is installed) It's not part of the info in the SysEnv
   record, and I can't find any help in Inside Mac 1-5.

3) I keep hearing about 32bit clean. Would someone explain what it means?
   I have a horrible feeling that all my applications are time-bombs since
   I have never worried about being 32 bit clean. If I use a high level
   language (Think C or Think Pascal) am I guaranteed to be 32 bit clean?

Thanks,

dph (cebaf == Continuous Electron Beam Accelerator Facility)

peirce@outpost.UUCP (Michael Peirce) (02/16/91)

In article <1991Feb15.152919.2886@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU>, heddle@clas01.cebaf.gov (David Heddle) writes:

> Some simple questions:
>
> 2) How do I detect how much RAM is present (not how much is available,
>    but how much is installed) It's not part of the info in the SysEnv
>    record, and I can't find any help in Inside Mac 1-5.

There is a function called MFTopMem that returns the top of memory
to you.  It's declared (in Memory.p) as:

FUNCTION MFTopMem: Ptr;

This can be cast into a longint or whatever is makes sense for you.

-- michael

--  Michael Peirce         --   outpost!peirce@claris.com
--  Peirce Software        --   Suite 301, 719 Hibiscus Place
--  Macintosh Programming  --   San Jose, California 95117
--           & Consulting  --   (408) 244-6554, AppleLink: PEIRCE

-- Ask me about AppSizer (and ask Claris about Public Folder :-)