[comp.sys.mac.programmer] No THINK C++?

jbr0@cbnews.att.com (joseph.a.brownlee) (02/12/91)

In article <2434@key.COM> perry@arkon.key.COM (Perry The Cynic) writes:
> Don't think for a moment that THINK C (V 4.x) is C++; it isn't, and I have
> it on good authority (people from Symantec) that its creators despise the
> C++ language and don't intend to implement it until the market (us) force
> them to. [...]

If this is true, perhaps it is finally time for me to take a good hard look
at MPW C++.  I've been a THINK C user since the good 'ol days of LightSpeed
C, and I do like the current OOP extensions and TCL.  However, I have been
viewing the current TC OOP extensions as a stepping stone to C++.  I do have
to admit to having thoughts about MPW C++ before this, so perhaps this is a
good reason to make the switch.

Don't get me wrong -- I know C++ is a bit of a kludge.  It is relatively
standard, though, which TC is not.  Without any type of overloading (especially
method name overloading) and no inlining capability, the TC OOP extensions
have been limiting for me from time to time.  Those limitiations are a lot
easier to deal with if I think they may be going away in TC 5.0.

While I realize that Symantec can't really comment on possible future products,
if the future direction of TC does not include C++ (or at least more of its
features than are supported now), I'd like to know.  While I realize that
Symantec would not want to alienate current cutomers by saying it will not
support C++, in my case they may need to persuade me _not_ to jump ship now.

Please, Symantec, tell us the above is _not_ true.

--
   -      _   Joe Brownlee, Analysts International Corp. @ AT&T Network Systems
  /_\  @ / `  471 E Broad St, Suite 1610, Columbus, Ohio 43215   (614) 860-7461

siegel@endor.uucp (Rich Siegel) (02/13/91)

In article <1991Feb12.132525.24968@cbnews.att.com> jbr@cblph.att.com writes:
>In article <2434@key.COM> perry@arkon.key.COM (Perry The Cynic) writes:
>> Don't think for a moment that THINK C (V 4.x) is C++; it isn't, and I have
>> it on good authority (people from Symantec) that its creators despise the
>> C++ language and don't intend to implement it until the market (us) force
>> them to. [...]

	It is company policy to not comment on unannounced products or
revisions, so I doubt that anyone I know would have said such a thing in
any public official capacity.

R.

 Rich Siegel	Symantec Languages Group  Internet: siegel@endor.harvard.edu

"I was just trying to be subtle. That's my job, isn't it?"

Lawson.English@p88.f15.n300.z1.fidonet.org (Lawson English) (02/15/91)

Rich Siegel writes in a message to All

RS> It is company policy to not comment on unannounced products or
RS> revisions, so I doubt that anyone I know would have said such
RS> a thing in any public official capacity.

Actually, I heard the same thing when Think C 4.0 came out. I believe it was
in MacTutor, and they were quoting someone about the difficulties in trying
to convert the Think C compiler to handle the C++ style...

I seem to recall it was someone quite high in the organization, like the main
programmer or somesuch...

Lawson

--
Uucp: ...{gatech,ames,rutgers}!ncar!asuvax!stjhmc!300!15.88!Lawson.English
Internet: Lawson.English@p88.f15.n300.z1.fidonet.org

perry@key.COM (Perry The Cynic) (02/16/91)

In article <5709@husc6.harvard.edu> siegel@endor.UUCP (Rich Siegel) writes:
> In article <1991Feb12.132525.24968@cbnews.att.com> jbr@cblph.att.com writes:
> >In article <2434@key.COM> perry@arkon.key.COM (Perry The Cynic) writes:
> >> Don't think for a moment that THINK C (V 4.x) is C++; it isn't, and I have
> >> it on good authority (people from Symantec) that its creators despise the
> >> C++ language and don't intend to implement it until the market (us) force
> >> them to. [...]
>
> 	It is company policy to not comment on unannounced products or
> revisions, so I doubt that anyone I know would have said such a thing in
> any public official capacity.
>
> R.
>
>  Rich Siegel	Symantec Languages Group  Internet: siegel@endor.harvard.edu

To clear up possible misunderstandings and keep my name honest, here's a few
words on Symantec, Mr. Siegel, C++, and me.

In a previous message I quoted Mr. Siegel as accusing me of "Whining for C++".
That was a quote from memory, and is not strictly correct. Mr. Siegel has
requested that I provide a correction. The actual quote is
    "All of your whining (frankly) about storage allocation is wasted."
and occured in a letter I received in August 1989 in reply to some negative
comments I sent to him on the (then new) Object C product. The ghist of that
letter is that C++ is a "kitchen-sink language" whose additional features
(over THINK C 4.x) are not worth while. I do not think that my quote
misrepresented the general tone and intent of that letter.

I have no inside knowledge of what Symantec does or intends to do.
To my knowledge, there has been no public announcement of Symantec,
nor of any of its employees speaking in an official capacity, saying
that C++ support will or will not be provided in the future. I have
however a strong personal impression that up to now, there is no commitment
to provide C++. This impression stems from personal statements of Mr. Siegel
(of his personal opinions, not company policy) and from talks to several
members of Symantec's technical support staff. I do not intend any personal
criticism of Mr. Siegel, nor am I accusing Symantec of anything. I simply wish
to point out that as far as I can judge as a Symantec customer, anyone
waiting for THINK C to become C++ compatible may be in for a long wait.

I think that Symantec will eventually be forced by its market (us) to
support C++. I'm not sanguine about when, and how. Consider that the "const"
feature of ANSI C is still missing from THINK C. When you ask tech support,
they'll tell you alternately that it's too hard, or not important enough.
That seems acceptable, until you realize that the same arguments can be made
about important C++ features like constructors and overloading. I have
to conclude, *personally and subjectively*, that Symantec's commitment
to standards is not convincing. That's my personal opinion, not an official
Symantec statement, nor an accusation of anyone; just the way I see it.
If I'm wrong, and THINK C version 5 is C++, I'll be the first to congratulate
them. It just doesn't feel like it will happen.

Thank you for your attention.
  -- perry
Perry The Cynic (Peter Kiehtreiber)		       perry@arkon.key.com
** What good signature isn't taken yet? **  {amdahl,sgi,pacbell}!key!perry