[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Communications port programming

cs220x2a@ducvax.auburn.edu (CS220X) (02/12/91)

I'm interested in writing a communications program for the Mac.  However, I
need information on programming the communications port.  I need info on the
following subjects:

1)  Accessing and writing to the comm port (if there's anything beyond what's
in Inside Mac vol I.).]

2)  Creating, sending and receiving your own custom protocols.

3)  Using X,Y and Zmodem protocols (how to implement them in a comm program).

If anyone has any information on any of the above topics or on serial port
usage in general, please post a reply or email to: cs220x2a@ducvax.auburn.edu.

Thanks,
Wade Williams
cs220x2a@ducvax.auburn.edu

paul@taniwha.UUCP (Paul Campbell) (02/14/91)

In article <91FEB11.125144@ducvax.auburn.edu> cs220x2a@ducvax.auburn.edu writes:
>I'm interested in writing a communications program for the Mac.  However, I
>need information on programming the communications port.  I need info on the
>following subjects:
>
>1)  Accessing and writing to the comm port (if there's anything beyond what's
>in Inside Mac vol I.).]

If you possibly can don't talk to the serial driver (as described in IM)
instead use the Communications Toolbox (CTB) - available for 6.0x from APDA
[(800)282-APDA] and built into System 7.0x. The main problem is that you have to
buy it - but it does come with a big binder full of documentation and lots
of working examples.

>2)  Creating, sending and receiving your own custom protocols.

The CTB has plug-in protocol modules (X-mosem is standard), as well as plug-in
terminal modules and connection modules

>3)  Using X,Y and Zmodem protocols (how to implement them in a comm program).

X-modem comes standard, you don't need to do anything

Check it out

	Paul
--
Paul Campbell    UUCP: ..!mtxinu!taniwha!paul     AppleLink: CAMPBELL.P
To my shame I see the death of 20,000 men, That for a fantasy and trick of fame

ksand@Apple.COM (Kent Sandvik) (02/16/91)

In article <781@taniwha.UUCP> paul@taniwha.UUCP (Paul Campbell) writes:

>The CTB has plug-in protocol modules (X-mosem is standard), as well as plug-in
>terminal modules and connection modules

>>3)  Using X,Y and Zmodem protocols (how to implement them in a comm program).
>
>X-modem comes standard, you don't need to do anything
>
>Check it out

... and here comes the used cars salesman pitch. CommsToolbox is
always available in System 7 and A/UX. Concerning MPW 3.2 the
developer don't need to purchase a separate package, because
the headers/libraries are included in MPW 3.2, available
real soon now from APDA.

--
Kent Sandvik, Apple Computer Inc, Developer Technical Support
NET:ksand@apple.com, AppleLink: KSAND  DISCLAIMER: Private mumbo-jumbo