[comp.sys.mac.programmer] SysEnvirons versus Gestalt

tarr-michael@CS.YALE.EDU (michael tarr) (02/17/91)

I wrote a small test program to check the machine number of various
machines. On my MacIIcx the Gestalt call (under 6.0.7) returns 8 while
the SysEnvirons record has a 6 in the MachineType field. Any clues?
 * Michael J. Tarr                              Department of Psychology  *
 * tarr@cs.yale.edu                             Yale University           *

andyp@treehouse.UUCP (Andy Peterman) (02/17/91)

In article <28811@cs.yale.edu> tarr-michael@CS.YALE.EDU (michael tarr) writes:

>I wrote a small test program to check the machine number of various
>machines. On my MacIIcx the Gestalt call (under 6.0.7) returns 8 while
>the SysEnvirons record has a 6 in the MachineType field. Any clues?

For some reason, Apple chose to use a different numbering system for
Gestalt than they used for SysEnvirons.  Just to confuse us, I guess!
Here are the machine types that Gestalt returns:

#define gestaltClassic                          1
#define gestaltMacXL                            2
#define gestaltMac512KE                         3
#define gestaltMacPlus                          4
#define gestaltMacSE                            5
#define gestaltMacII                            6
#define gestaltMacIIx                           7
#define gestaltMacIIcx                          8
#define gestaltMacSE030                         9
#define gestaltPortable                         10
#define gestaltMacIIci                          11
#define gestaltMacIIfx                          13
#define gestaltMacClassic                       17
#define gestaltMacIIsi                          18
#define gestaltMacLC                            19

Here are the machine types that SysEnvirons returns:

enum {envMac = -1};
enum {envXL = -2};
enum {envMachUnknown = 0};
enum {env512KE = 1};
enum {envMacPlus = 2};
enum {envSE = 3};
enum {envMacII = 4};
enum {envMacIIx = 5};
enum {envMacIIcx = 6};
enum {envSE30 = 7};
enum {envPortable = 8};
enum {envMacIIci = 9};
enum {envMacIIfx = 11};

--
Andy Peterman                       |   Opinions expressed
treehouse!andyp@gvgpsa.gvg.tek.com  | are definitely those of

marc@Apple.COM (Mark Dawson) (02/18/91)

In article <28811@cs.yale.edu> tarr-michael@CS.YALE.EDU (michael tarr) writes:

>I wrote a small test program to check the machine number of various
>machines. On my MacIIcx the Gestalt call (under 6.0.7) returns 8 while
>the SysEnvirons record has a 6 in the MachineType field. Any clues?
>--
Yes, for some (I don't know why) reason, gestalt machine #s are 2 greater
than their sysEnvirons brethren.
... And to kill to birds w/one stone, here are the IIci and above values

Machine     SysEnvirons#  Gestalt#
SE30             7           9
Portable         8           10
IIci             9           11
IIfx            11           13
Classic         15           17
IIsi            16           18
LC              17           19

Mark
--
Mark Dawson                Service Diagnostic Engineering

Apple says what it says; I say what I say.  We're different