anderson@Apple.COM (Clark Anderson) (02/17/91)

From: dmmg1176@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (David M Marcovitz):
>I am looking for less biased reports about this journal.  Does anyone
>have any experiences, good or bad, with Prepare() and its libraries?

I bought a subscription to Prepare(). Although I have not used
nearly all the classes that ship with it, the ones I did use
worked exactly as described, with no problems.

The documentation that goes with it is quite extensive and
detailed. For the $500 or so that it costs, I think you get
a lot for your money.
                                       --clark
Clark Anderson                InterNet:  anderson@apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc           AppleLink: C.ANDERSON
                              BellNet:   408-974-4593

"I speak only for myself, much to my employers relief..."

wes@arco.com (Wes Monroe) (02/20/91)

In article <1991Feb15.171220.22455@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> dmmg1176@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu
(David M Marcovitz) writes:

>I just got a note from someone describing the journal Prepare().  This
>is a bimonthly distribution of libraries and other goodies for
>programming in Think C 4.0.  It sounds great albeit a little expensive
>for my budget.  However, the note was from a very biased source (the
>editor of the journal).
>
>I am looking for less biased reports about this journal.  Does anyone
>have any experiences, good or bad, with Prepare() and its libraries?

A few things about Prepare().

I have subscribed to Prepare for 1 year and have recieved 3 issues,
so the bi-monthly thing is a bit misleading.  The author does
say that a subscription includes 6 issues, however long that takes.

About the contents... I have found Prepare to be extremely useful.
The primary objects I use from it at this point is the TextEdit object.
Using this object you get a 32K line text editor that supports
tabs, 1,2 &3 clicking etc.  I have had no problems at all with it.

The last addition contained the makings of a view editor.  This
currently is implemented as an option within the Prepare Browser (an
application which is supplied to browse the Prepare man pages and
source etc., source included of course).  This is an extremely useful
tool that will let you lay out all your THINK C objects for your
windows and dialogs.  Perhaps this will become a stand alone application
in the next issue.

All in all its a great tool for learning and expanding the Think C
class library, especially if your company/university will spring for it!.

Cheers,

Wes