[comp.sys.mac.programmer] ANSI and MacTrap in THINK C

bose@milton.u.washington.edu (Rob Olsen) (02/19/91)

I'm writing a simple poker game to practice using C.  At first I used rand()
and srand(clock()) for random numbers and it worked ok.  Now I want to
use GetDateTime(&randSeed) and Random() with printf(), but for some reason
I get the same set of random numbers everytime.  Is there a way to use
Random() and ANSI stdio at the same time?  Or should I just forget about
Random() and just stick with rand()?

hawley@adobe.COM (Steve Hawley) (02/20/91)

In article <16681@milton.u.washington.edu> bose@milton.u.washington.edu (Rob Olsen) writes:
>I'm writing a simple poker game to practice using C.  At first I used rand()
>and srand(clock()) for random numbers and it worked ok.  Now I want to
>use GetDateTime(&randSeed) and Random() with printf(), but for some reason
>I get the same set of random numbers everytime.  Is there a way to use
>Random() and ANSI stdio at the same time?  Or should I just forget about
>Random() and just stick with rand()?

I can't tell you why you're getting the same random numbers all the time, but
you might want to try this instead:

randSeed = TickCount();  /* seed the random number generator */

If you wish to retain the rand() srand() pair to keep compatability, just do
what you were already doing.  No harm.

Steve Hawley
hawley@adobe.com
--
"Did you know that a cow was *MURDERED* to make that jacket?"
"Yes.    I didn't think there were any witnesses, so I guess I'll have to kill