[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Fortran for MacII

greg@carnivore.tamu.edu (Greg Economides) (02/21/91)

We have tried two Fortran compilers for the Mac and neither of them are
very nice/friendly: MacFortran II and MacTran Plus 4.0.  Do any of you
know of other Fortran compilers and how they compare to these two.?
Specifically, some of the problems have been:
	1.  Error messages are referenced by a number which the user has
	    to look up in the back of the user's manual to find out what
	    went wrong. (MacFortran II)

	2.  Compiler does not catch the error of calling a subroutine with
	    an incorrect number of arguments.  (MacFortran II)

	3.  Editor is wacky (ruler stays at top of screen) in MacTran.

	4.  Errors window goes away when the user tries go and fix the errors
	    in the editor (MacTran).

	5.  Debugging tools are either poor or undocumented.  (both)

These are preliminary observations, though.  These compilers have not been
thouroghly tried-out by any means.  However, first impressions are important
and have been pretty bad with these two.

Any suggestions?

Peace,
--
Greg Economides                          "This sentence is false"
Technical Lab Coordinator

jcj@rlgvax.Reston.ICL.COM (Jeff Jones) (02/22/91)

Sorry for the bandwidth waste; I tried email twice, both bouncing at
carnivore.  This may be of general interest.

In article <12390@helios.TAMU.EDU> greg@carnivore.tamu.edu (Greg Economides) writes:
[problems with various Fortran compilers]
>Any suggestions?

Greg,

You might want to look into Language System's Fortran.  I don't program in
Fortran, so I don't know about their compiler, but I use their Wild Things
Hypercard application and it's great.  I also know a couple of the people who
work there, and they are good folks (and support is wonderful!).

Language Systems can be reached at (703)478-0181.  I think they have an
educational discount on their Fortran product.  I know that they do offer
a money-back guarantee. Tell 'em you heard about them on Usenet! (I'm trying
to get them set up with a feed.)

>Peace,
love, and good karma :-).

Jeff Jones		easy: jcj@{ropes,rlgvax}.reston.icl.com
ICL Inc.		hard: ...uupsi!rlgvax!jcj
11490 Commerce Park Drive, Reston, VA 22091

Louis.Pecora@f421.n109.z1.fidonet.org (Louis Pecora) (02/24/91)

Language systems Fortran is THE way to go for Fortran on the Mac. The
compiler is solid (the only one that can successfully compile Nag and
IMSL Libraries!), efficient, full of useful extras, faithful to the Mac
(call subroutines just like Inside Mac), works in a powerful
environment (MPW) with other compilers (C, C++, Pascal) and tools, is
almost completely VAX compatible, ... and much more. I've been using it
since the first beta. It's great!  --- Lou Pecora

--

        Louis Pecora, Louis.Pecora@f421.n109.z1.fidonet.org
      via The Black Cat's Shack's FidoNet<->Usenet Gateway