[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Debugging Stand-Alone Code Resources

bobert@Autodesk.COM (Robert Murphy) (02/14/91)

I am writing a technical document describing how to build and debug a
certain type of stand-alone code resource.  I know that Macsbug, TMON,
and Jasik's Debugger provide some level of support for stand-alone
code resources, and in fact have used Jasik to debug the example code.
To round out this document, I would like to know what, if any, support
for debugging stand-alone code resources is provided by SADE and by
the Think source debuggers.  As close as I can see from reading their
documentation, it doesn't look like any, but I might have missed something.

Any input on this will be greatly appreciated!

- Bob Murphy
bobert@autodesk.com

mandel@vax.anes.tulane.edu (Jeff E Mandel MD MS) (02/15/91)

In article <2725@autodesk.COM> bobert@Autodesk.COM (Robert Murphy) writes:
>I am writing a technical document describing how to build and debug a
>certain type of stand-alone code resource.  I know that Macsbug, TMON,
>and Jasik's Debugger provide some level of support for stand-alone
>code resources, and in fact have used Jasik to debug the example code.
>To round out this document, I would like to know what, if any, support
>for debugging stand-alone code resources is provided by SADE and by
>the Think source debuggers.  As close as I can see from reading their
>documentation, it doesn't look like any, but I might have missed something.

I have used SADE to debug LDEFs. It is reasonably straightforward; just set the
target and source files explicitly.

Jeff E Mandel MD MS
Asst Professor of Anesthesiology
Tulane University School of Medicine
New Orleans, LA

ksand@Apple.COM (Kent Sandvik) (02/16/91)

In article <6154@rex.cs.tulane.edu> mandel@vax.anes.tulane.edu (Jeff E Mandel MD MS) writes:
>In article <2725@autodesk.COM> bobert@Autodesk.COM (Robert Murphy) writes:
>>I am writing a technical document describing how to build and debug a
>>certain type of stand-alone code resource.  I know that Macsbug, TMON,
>>and Jasik's Debugger provide some level of support for stand-alone
>>code resources, and in fact have used Jasik to debug the example code.
>>To round out this document, I would like to know what, if any, support
>>for debugging stand-alone code resources is provided by SADE and by
>>the Think source debuggers.  As close as I can see from reading their
>>documentation, it doesn't look like any, but I might have missed something.
>
>I have used SADE to debug LDEFs. It is reasonably straightforward; just set the
>target and source files explicitly.

...just some comments, do not make the CODE resources to float in
memory, so SADE will have hard times to find the standalone code segment.
Also, copying CODE segments to other handles so SADE don't find the
entrypoints is also bad.

regards,
Kent

--
Kent Sandvik, Apple Computer Inc, Developer Technical Support
NET:ksand@apple.com, AppleLink: KSAND  DISCLAIMER: Private mumbo-jumbo

jspencer@p510.f22.n282.z1.mmug.edgar.mn.org (Jim Spencer) (02/23/91)

Robert Murphy writes in a message to All

RM> To round out this document, I would like to know what, if any,
RM> support for debugging stand-alone code resources is provided
RM> by SADE and by the Think source debuggers. As close as I can
RM> see from reading their documentation, it doesn't look like any,
RM> but I might have missed something.

While I haven't tried it myself, SADE is supposed to be able to debug stand-alone resources the same way that it debugs application code: you do your builds with -sym on and identify the source files explicitly to the debugger.  The exception is XCMD's because of the way they are copied before being run.

I don't see anyway to debug stand-alones of any type in Think Pascal's debugger as, by definition these need to be compiled in a project seperate from the program being run in the debugger.

--

                   Jim Spencer (jspencer@mmug.edgar.mn.org)
               UUCP: ...jhereg!tcnet!vware!edgar!mmug!jspencer

--

mneerach@iiic.ethz.ch (Matthias Ulrich Neeracher) (02/24/91)

In article <1.27C5B494@mmug.edgar.mn.org>, jspencer@p510.f22.n282.z1.mmug.edgar.mn.org (Jim Spencer) writes:

>Robert Murphy writes in a message to All
>
>RM> To round out this document, I would like to know what, if any,
>RM> support for debugging stand-alone code resources is provided
>RM> by SADE and by the Think source debuggers. As close as I can
>RM> see from reading their documentation, it doesn't look like any,
>RM> but I might have missed something.
>
>While I haven't tried it myself, SADE is supposed to be able to debug
>stand-alone resources the same way that it debugs application code: you do your
>builds with -sym on and identify the source files explicitly to the debugger.
>The exception is XCMD's be cause of the way they are copied before being run.

If somebody has managed to debug a 'cdev' resource with SADE without blowing
up the system, please let me know. (But then, I haven't tried it for a year,
maybe it works with the new & improved SADE)

Matthias

--
Matthias Neeracher                                   mneerach@iiic.ethz.ch
   "These days, though, you have to be pretty technical before you can