[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Connecting to sockets?

wilson@csli.Stanford.EDU (Nathan Wilson) (02/26/91)

A friend of mine has written a simple network database server that
runs as a daemon on a UNIX box (SGI to be more precise) and a client
that can modify the remote database.  She would like to write a Mac
client and was wondering how easy it was to use MacTCP to connect
a Mac program to a UNIX socekt.

Nathan Wilson
Teleos Research
nathan@teleos.com

jnmoyne@lbl.gov (Jean-Noel MOYNE) (02/26/91)

In article <17908@csli.Stanford.EDU> wilson@csli.Stanford.EDU (Nathan
Wilson) writes:
> client and was wondering how easy it was to use MacTCP to connect
> a Mac program to a UNIX socekt.

        You should use on the available socket libraries for the Mac. The
one I know about is Novell's, and comes as a lib to "link" with using
Think C. I suppose it's the best thing to use, since it's really
unix-like, and works quite well if you don't want to receive UDP packets
of more than 918 bytes (I think the edge is at 918 bytes, I don't
remember), and maybe even that bug has been corrected now.

          JNM

--
These are my own ideas (not LBL's)