[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Increasing heap for MPW Linker

ml27192@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (lanett mark) (02/24/91)

Excuse me if I missed this before, but how does one increase the amount of
heap zone space available to the MPW linker? I'm increasingly getting -108s
and full crashes. I did increase the _stack_ space via the HEXA resource,
but that seems not to be what I want. Thanks much,
Mark Lanett, a.k.a. ml27192@uxa.cs.uiuc.edu
--
//-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mark Lanett						ml27192@uxa.cs.uiuc.edu

Greg@AppleLink.Apple.Com (Greg Marriott) (02/24/91)

In article <1991Feb24.004028.11843@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, ml27192@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (lanett mark) writes:

> Excuse me if I missed this before, but how does one increase the amount of
> heap zone space available to the MPW linker? I'm increasingly getting -108s
> and full crashes...

Tools share the heap with the MPW Shell.  Increase the partition size of the
MPW Shell (using Get Info in the Finder).  If you're not running MultiFinder
then buy some more RAM :)

Greg Marriott
Blue Meanie
Apple Computer, Inc.

mneerach@iiic.ethz.ch (Matthias Ulrich Neeracher) (02/24/91)

In article <1991Feb24.004028.11843@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, ml27192@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (lanett mark) writes:
>Excuse me if I missed this before, but how does one increase the amount of
>heap zone space available to the MPW linker? I'm increasingly getting -108s
>and full crashes. I did increase the _stack_ space via the HEXA resource,
>but that seems not to be what I want. Thanks much,

Two variants:

If you're running under MultiFinder, the option -mf to the Linker should
help you.

If you were running under Finder - buy a memory upgrade. Sorry.

Matthias

--
Matthias Neeracher                                   mneerach@iiic.ethz.ch
   "These days, though, you have to be pretty technical before you can

time@ice.com (02/25/91)

In article <3346@ux.acs.umn.edu>, dhoyt@vx.acs.umn.edu (DAVID HOYT) writes:
> >I should be more specific. I had MPW running with 3 megs and frequently saw
> >the bulldozer icon.
>
>   My experence is that three megs is not enough when using MacApp or big
> libraries.  I run with a partition size of six megs and have never seen a
> problem.  No doubt, six is more than I needed, but I've never tried to
> find the minimum partition size needed.  One thing that may help is to
> put all objects into libraries and using the libraries when linking.

AND remember that when you use the option to generate a symbol file,
you are going to need LOTS of memory!

Tim Endres                |  time@ice.com
ICE Engineering           |  uupsi!ice.com!time
8840 Main Street          |  Voice            FAX
Whitmore Lake MI. 48189   |  (313) 449 8288   (313) 449 9208

Greg@AppleLink.Apple.Com (Greg Marriott) (02/26/91)

In article <1991Feb24.221324.13519@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, ml27192@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (lanett mark) writes:
> I should be more specific. I had MPW running with 3 megs and frequently saw
> the bulldozer icon...

Another thing you can try is to issue a Flush command before each Link
command.  Tool CODE segments are cached by the Shell (their resource forks
are kept open as well).  The Flush command purges the cached segments and
closes the files.

Hope this helps,

Greg Marriott
Blue Meanie