[comp.sys.mac.programmer] ResEdit Aftermarket Products?

leue@galen.crd.ge.com (Bill Leue) (02/19/91)

I wonder if any commerical software organizations have considered
building plug-in filters and editors for the new, modular ResEdit.
This seems to me like an ideal market for companies which are heavily
into utilities - CE Software, for instance.  There are a number of
resource types which don't have a good resource-specific editor -- just
the generic hex editor:

'snd' resources - an editor which duplicates some of the features of
the Farallon products would be good here: editing splicing, compressing,
filtering, etc.

'code' resources - at minimum, a symbolic disassembler would be a real
blessing.  Maybe Rick Jasik (sp?) is interested.  A template specifically
for Hypercard XCMD's and XFCN's would be good, too.

'layo' editor for Finder look-and-feel issues.

paper size resources ('prec'?) like those used in MacDraw.

And so on. I realize that stand-alone editors for most of these resources
exist, but their functionality would be enhanced even more in the ResEdit
environment, IMHO.

Any takers?

-Bill Leue
leue@crd.ge.com

Greg@AppleLink.Apple.Com (Greg Marriott) (02/26/91)

In article <18267@imag.imag.fr>, gourdol@imag.imag.fr (Arnaud Gourdol) writes:
> In article <16903@crdgw1.crd.ge.com> leue@galen.crd.ge.com (Bill Leue) writes:
> >I wonder if any commerical software organizations have considered
> >building plug-in filters and editors for the new, modular ResEdit.
> >-Bill Leue
> >leue@crd.ge.com
> ...(ie, people from the Real World(tm)) don't use ResEdit, and hence, won't
> buy modules for a product they don't own (seems very logical)...
> As far as now, I'm afraid there's no market for this kind of ResEdit
> extensions. (sigghhhh!).

Seems to me the market for ResEdit "extensions" is the same as for any other
development tool... developers.  A small segment of the Mac population, to
be sure, but several companies make a healthy living selling development tools.

Greg Marriott
Blue Meanie
Apple Computer, Inc.