[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Can MPW be used for non-Mac development?

andrew@jhereg.osa.com (Andrew C. Esh) (02/20/91)

I am fairly experienced with MPW development of Macintosh applications, but
I ran across some work for another 680X0 machine. I need to know if MPW can
be used to produce binaries that will run on another machine, and
specifically can MPW produce Motorola S-Records. I you don't know, can you
at least point me in the right direction? I can EMail into Apple, if I know
who to talk to.
--
Andrew C. Esh andrew@osa.com (612)525-0000
Open Systems Architects, Inc.	Minneapolis, MN 55416-1528

blob@Apple.COM (Brian Bechtel) (02/23/91)

andrew@jhereg.osa.com (Andrew C. Esh) writes:

>I am fairly experienced with MPW development of Macintosh applications, but
>I ran across some work for another 680X0 machine. I need to know if MPW can
>be used to produce binaries that will run on another machine, and
>specifically can MPW produce Motorola S-Records. I you don't know, can you
>at least point me in the right direction? I can EMail into Apple, if I know
>who to talk to.

Yes, on the Developer CD there is an MPW  tool, DumpSRec that converts

"an arbitrary Macintosh data file or resource into
Motorola S-Record format, most likely to assist in downloading code
and data to EPROM programmers or non-Macintosh target platforms."

--Brian Bechtel     blob@apple.com     "My opinion, not Apple's"

keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) (02/23/91)

In article <1991Feb20.011009.29399@jhereg.osa.com> andrew@jhereg.osa.com (Andrew C. Esh) writes:
>I am fairly experienced with MPW development of Macintosh applications, but
>I ran across some work for another 680X0 machine. I need to know if MPW can
>be used to produce binaries that will run on another machine, and
>specifically can MPW produce Motorola S-Records. I you don't know, can you
>at least point me in the right direction? I can EMail into Apple, if I know
>who to talk to.

See Technote #240 for a discussion on this. MPW doesn't produce S-Records,
but I understand developers sometimes write little conversion to to
move from MPW's OMF to S-Records.

INTERNET: keith@apple.com
"Argue for your Apple, and sure enough, it's yours" - Keith Rollin, Contusions

paulr@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Paul T Russell) (02/27/91)

From article <49460@apple.Apple.COM>, by blob@Apple.COM (Brian Bechtel):
> Yes, on the Developer CD there is an MPW  tool, DumpSRec that converts

There is also an MPW tool in the SUMEX archives and on the Disc Tracy
CD-ROM, called, imaginatively, "Hex". This tool will generate Intel,
Motorola and 'raw' hex for downloading to EPROM programmers, etc.
It has a few options not found in DumpSRec, like the ability to
split odd/even bytes into two files.

I didn't see the original message, but I have used both MPW and
THINK C for cross-development so if the author wants to mail me
with any specific quesions I'll be happy to answer them.

//Paul

--
           Paul Russell, Department of Experimental Psychology
         University of Sussex, Falmer, Brighton BN1 9QG, England

Invader@cup.portal.com (Michael K Donegan) (02/28/91)

The last time I read an MPW license agreement it said that you could
only use the software to produce programs for Apple manufactured
computers.  Has something changed?
	mkd

jspencer@p510.f22.n282.z1.mmug.edgar.mn.org (Jim Spencer) (03/03/91)

Michael K Donegan writes in a message to All

MKD> The last time I read an MPW license agreement it said that you
MKD> could only use the software to produce programs for Apple manufactured
MKD> computers. Has something changed?  mkd

Must be as the licenses that came with my latest revisions have no such limitation.  In fact, they don't appear to have very many limitations at all other than that the software can only be run on one machine at a time.

--

                   Jim Spencer (jspencer@mmug.edgar.mn.org)
               UUCP: ...jhereg!tcnet!vware!edgar!mmug!jspencer

--

andrew@jhereg.osa.com (Andrew C. Esh) (03/05/91)

In article <0.27D03BC3@mmug.edgar.mn.org> jspencer@p510.f22.n282.z1.mmug.edgar.mn.org (Jim Spencer) writes:

>Michael K Donegan writes in a message to All
>
>MKD> The last time I read an MPW license agreement it said that you
>MKD> could only use the software to produce programs for Apple manufactured
>MKD> computers. Has something changed?  mkd
>
>Must be as the licenses that came with my latest revisions have no such limitation.  In fact, they don't appear to have very many limitations at all other than that the software can only be run on one machine at a time.
>

>--
>
>                   Jim Spencer (jspencer@mmug.edgar.mn.org)
>               UUCP: ...jhereg!tcnet!vware!edgar!mmug!jspencer
>                             FidoNet: 1:282/22.510
>
>--

I am the orginal poster of the message. I have received help from two
seperate Apple employees on this, and they referred me to Tech note #240,
which is titled "Using MPW for Non-Macintosh 68000 Systems." It gives
instructions on how to do exactly what I am asking for. I haven't read the
software license, but I would guess that Apple would not have a problem
with what I am doing. As far as the one machine at a time limitation, I
think that applies to the MPW software itself, not what you produce with
it. If Apple tries to retain any rights to the software that is produced
with MPW, most of the programs available for the Mac would be in legal
trouble. MacApp I can understand, since it is source code, and forms a
central part of an application, but MPW is just a tool.

(Being not to happy with the mush about the MPW copyright in the above
paragraph, I went and read the notice in the MPW Manual)

According to the copyright notice, the only "Apple machines only" reference
concerns the Sample Programs, which they license, and retain rights to. The
notice is under a seperate heading, and specifically mentions the sample
code. There is no mention of any other part of MPW being restricted, except
for the normal copyrights on the use of the MPW software itself. I
interpret this to mean that I can do anything I want to with the software I
produce, as long as I do not use any code from the Sample Programs, and I
do not copy or distribute MPW itself.
--
Andrew C. Esh			andrew@osa.com
Open Systems Architects, Inc.

andrew@jhereg.osa.com (Andrew C. Esh) (03/05/91)

Well, I read Tech note #240, and I plan to make use of it, but what I
really need is the tools DumpSRec. I am told the it is on the "Disk Tracy"
CD. I do not have that one among my Developer CDs. Is it really new? I got
"Gorillas in the Disk" a couple of days ago, and I have all the disks in
the series, so I am unaware of "Disk Tracy". It is rather a moot poiont
anyway, since I do not have ready access to a CD ROM drive. The tool used
to be on sumex-aim.stanford.edu, but has disappeared, much to the surprise
of the person who directed me there. The tool was also mailed to me, but
was double packed or something, since I could not de-MacBinary it. If some
kind soul could binhex it up, and either mail it to me, post it in
comp.binaries.mac, or leave it sitting at an anonymous ftp site, I would
appreciate it beyond belief. Please save this poor wretched soul the
rigors of having to develop code on a brain dead (PC) system.
--
Andrew C. Esh			andrew@osa.com