[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Alternatives to MacApp

smedley@udel.edu (Trevor Smedley) (03/05/91)

Does anyone know of any application builders other than MacApp?  I would like
to get one to use for teaching a course on programming for a Macintosh.  I
expect the the MPW/MacApp combination may be too expensive.  Also, I expect
that a programming environment like ThinkC may be more suitable for
undergraduates than MPW is.

Thanks, Trevor Smedley
smedley@udel.edu

boerned@mist.CS.ORST.EDU (Dan Boerner) (03/05/91)

Trevor, were your aware that you can use MacApp w/ Think Pascal 3.01?
I'm just finishing T.A.'ing the second term of a two term software
engineering course and we've used MacApp and Think Pascal as our
framework.

We've had great success and feel that it is important to expose our
students to the current technology available in applicaton development.

If you're interested in our experiences let me know.

---
Dan Boerner
Masters Student
Oregon State University
boerned@mist.cs.orst.edu

andrew@jhereg.osa.com (Andrew C. Esh) (03/05/91)

In article <46488@nigel.ee.udel.edu> smedley@udel.edu writes:
>Does anyone know of any application builders other than MacApp?  I would like
>to get one to use for teaching a course on programming for a Macintosh.  I
>expect the the MPW/MacApp combination may be too expensive.  Also, I expect
>that a programming environment like ThinkC may be more suitable for
>undergraduates than MPW is.
>
>Thanks, Trevor Smedley
>smedley@udel.edu

I am not posting to answer your question, but to raise a point about MPW vs
Think-C. Anyone following up on my point should EDIT THE SUBJECT LINE.

I have always valued learning any development or editing system that
include some sort of programmability. Systems like Unix, Brief (a PC editor
like Emacs that has a macro language buit in), and any development system
that includes scripting. What systems like these taught me is that if there
is something the devlopment system does not do, usually a script can be
written to solve the problem. I learned self reliance, and never learned
that I should expect the writers of the compiler to fix all the problems
for me. My fondest memories of when I was learning to program was when I
took the devlopment system and stretched it to solve new problems.

One of the things I regret being exposed to early on was Pascal. It has
restrictions built in which make it easy to learn, and keeps the student
from getting into too much trouble. It also keeps the student from doing
things that may need to be done. I like Pascal, but I would rather use C++,
since I find fewer impediments. (Pascal hacks: Please don't flame; I'm
using Pascal as an example of limitations, not comparing languages)

Think-C has its place also. I use it to blast out small routines that I
need in a hurry, and I know aren't going to stress the system. THen I
usually port them to MPW and intergrate them with the huge projects I have
going over there. It's a kind of Breadboard process.

My point is that I think it is important for your students to learn self
reliance, by first learning to work with a raw system that has few
limitations rather than come to depend on a limited system which they will
eventually outgrow.

--
Andrew C. Esh			andrew@osa.com
Open Systems Architects, Inc.

Jim.Spencer@p510.f22.n282.z1.mmug.edgar.mn.org.org (Jim Spencer) (03/06/91)

Trevor Smedley writes in a message to All

TS> Does anyone know of any application builders other than MacApp?
TS> I would like to get one to use for teaching a course on programming
TS> for a Macintosh. I expect the the MPW/MacApp combination may
TS> be too expensive. Also, I expect that a programming environment
TS> like ThinkC may be more suitable for undergraduates than MPW
TS> is.

First of all, MacApp is not an "application builder" as I think you mean it.  Rather it is an object oriented application framework.  Unless you plan to teach OOPs along with Mac programming it would not be of much help.

If on the other hand you plan to include an object framework on your class, you could do one of two things.  First you could use MacApp along with Think Pascal (unfortunately, Think C can not work with the MacApp library.)  Alternatively, both Think C and Think Pascal come complete with their own class library/application framework, the Think Class Library or TCL.  Particularly for a class environment, this would probably serve most of your needs at the least possible cost and withe least amount of time sp

ent learning the environment.