[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Pictures in dialog boxes

dweisman@umiami.ir.miami.edu (Ordinary Man) (03/05/91)

	If I want to include picture resources in a dialog box, and they
cover any interactive items like check boxes and radio buttons, what order
in the item list do they need to go in? I've tried it both with the pictures
in front and with the items in front, but the dialog doesn't seem to act
right. Any suggestions?

Dan

--
/-------------------------------------------------------------------------\
|   Dan Weisman -  University of Miami - Florida   |  ||   ||   ||   ||   |

peirce@outpost.UUCP (Michael Peirce) (03/06/91)

In article <1991Mar4.192253.7967@umiami.ir.miami.edu>, dweisman@umiami.ir.miami.edu (Ordinary Man) writes:

> 	If I want to include picture resources in a dialog box, and they
> cover any interactive items like check boxes and radio buttons, what order
> in the item list do they need to go in? I've tried it both with the pictures
> in front and with the items in front, but the dialog doesn't seem to act
> right. Any suggestions?

Doesn't act right?  I'm not quite sure what you mean.

One thing I do that helps in certain circumstances is to make the
picture "see through."  What I mean is that the "black" bits get drawn,
but the "white" bits are really transparent.

Say I have a bitmap picture from MacPaint. I cut it from MacPaint,
then past it into MacDraw, then make the white bits transparent by
using that silly "*" (meaning transparent color).  Then I cut from
MacDraw and paste using ResEdit into my App (then DeRez if need be).

This lets the picture get drawn OK, but also there are no white bits
drawn to cover anything else up.

Also, unless you need it, it's best to make the Picture dialog
items disabled.

-- michael

--  Michael Peirce         --   outpost!peirce@claris.com
--  Peirce Software        --   Suite 301, 719 Hibiscus Place
--  Macintosh Programming  --   San Jose, California 95117
--           & Consulting  --   (408) 244-6554, AppleLink: PEIRCE

hairston@henry.ECE.CMU.EDU (David Hairston) (03/07/91)

[dweisman@umiami.ir.miami.edu (Ordinary Man) writes:]
[]	If I want to include picture resources in a dialog box, and they
[] cover any interactive items like check boxes and radio buttons, what order
[] in the item list do they need to go in? I've tried it both with pictures
[] in front and with the items in front, but the dialog doesn't seem to act
[] right. Any suggestions?

if you don't the want the picture to register mouseclicks make sure it
is disabled (in the DITL record).  also, when items overlap, the item
foremost (i.e. first) in the list will get the click.

  -dave-
hairston@henry.ece.cmu.edu